Chapter Thirteen

Despite all the thing I think about my parents- one is undeniable: they were soulmates. What other person in their right mind (not that they were, just an example) would willingly carry over twenty children?

  They met at church when my mother was just fourteen, and because of the community they lived in that normalized it so much- they got married soon after. Every time I hear that story, the one thing that crosses my mind is: At least they were both under eighteen.

  In the early days, being so young with a child- they struggled more than they do now. My mother's always been a stay at home mom because of how she was raised, even though she could've done whatever she wanted with her grades. I've vowed to teach my children the exact opposite of their beliefs- if I ever have them that is. With everything going on in the world, it's not on the top of my priority list.

  My dad's priority list was always the same: Work, work, work. It didn't matter if he saw his kids or not because he still believes in traditional gender roles. Fuck him. But he really did love my mother. It was obvious in the little things he did for her, though it wasn't often at all- he'd help watch the younger ones so my mother could take a thirty minute nap, and some of us older ones would do the same. It usually wasn't me though. I was usually studying- how ironic.

  I spent well over a year avoiding it as much as possible, and then I had to buckle down as a result and nearly drive myself insane again. But regardless of how I fucked up this last year of law school- it all comes to a screeching halt today. About a hundred of us will take the multiple choice/essay portion of the exam, and then we'll be directed to a waiting room for about three hours so we can have panic attacks in peace. We have the option to leave, go somewhere else for those three hours if we want to while the committees grade us, but most won't.

  This is our entire future we're talking about- we can wait a few hours, especially the ones that have known what they wanted to do since birth.

  Right now, I'm staring at the ceiling, trying to will myself to get up because of how huge the test'll be. I suppose if I somehow manage to fail despite my deal with Professor Albert, I could use my university degree in political science.

  I could move to D.C. They always need new communication directors, new press secretaries and spokespersons on the hill. I wouldn't even have to agree with the congressperson's politics- I'd just have to convey them for them.

  The funny thing is, I know it would destroy me to put a message out I don't believe in- but so would defending a person I know is guilty. So if I pass, I'll probably go to a general firm where I don't have to- where I can pick and chose who I defend.

  You'll never get there if you don't get out of bed, dumbass.

  That little voice in my head is always right, so I use it to my advantage and force myself to get out of Noelle's bed. She's sound asleep, snoring so quietly it's like she's doing it on purpose- one leg hanging off  the bed.

  Her lips are slightly parted, making them appear fuller- and a faint memory of her talking in her sleep rings in my mind.

  Don't show up to the one exam that matters with greasy hair.

  I frown and run my fingers through the short crop- it is indeed greasy. I should start listening to that voice more, it's almost always right.

  I tiptoe around her bed to the bathroom completely naked and shut the door. The first time I saw this thing- saw how large it was and that she has it to herself, I had the same reaction as the first time I saw Sonia's room. It may not be an entire floor, but goddamn. That shower could fit ten people, fifteen if you really squeezed in.