Prologue

I'm sitting next to a German Shepherd named Chase. I met him around the same time the wedding got announced. It was a cold and windy day outside of Brightside, California. I was walking to a Walmart intending to get a few things for the party. A party I planned. After a few minutes. I see the sign stretch across the leafless trees. I sigh in relief as I walk to the sign. I remember seeing a green Dodge Charger fly by. Something about that car was - relaxing and familiar. I brushed off the feeling and continued my walk. After a hop, skip, and a jump. I found myself walking into Walmart. I quickly grab the things I need and I walk over to a self-checkout. I start to rub the items into the scanner and then put them into a bag. Cake, streamers, balloons, an air pump, some eatable glitter, and frosting for the homemade cake at Kota and Crisp's house. I'm about to leave when I run into a fur outside of Walmart.

"What the..." I begin as I open my eyes and see a Shepherd on the ground.

"You okay," He says getting up. I flinch as I see a paw extend towards my maw.

"Sorry, it a reflex," I say looking up at him.

"No prob," He says as I grab his paw and he pulls me up. I look at him. Bright smile, brown muzzle, black nose, brown eyes.

"You okay?" he says with a puzzled look. Head tilted to the left. I shake out of my daze and nod.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say as we start to walk.

"So, you live 'round here?" he asks as we walk.

"No, I live outside the city. In a small house with my parents," I say looking at him. I grab my phone and turn it on. 12:43. Shit! I mentally say as I jump.

"I got to go," I yell at him as I run out of the parking lot. I start to run with the bags. I feel the bags rip and I fall. Different foods fall out and roll into the road. I feel my heart stop as I rush to get the food. I run into the road and I grab the frosting. I stand and turn. I see to headlights and I jump out of the way. I begin to stand when I hear someone yell. I turn and see another pair of headlights.

"I'm done," I think to myself as the lights approach me. I feel my body tense as I'm tackled to the ground beside the car. I open my eyes and see the Shepherd. I sigh and I push him off me. I get up and look at him.

"Thank you," I say looking at him. My eyes, wide with shock.

"Your welcome. Don't stand out in the middle of a highway," He says looking at me. I feel my cheeks burn a bright red and I could tell he could see through my white fur. He laughs and walks up to me.

"What's your name?" he asks looking at me.

"Leo. Leo Rush," I say "and yours,"

"Chase Smith," He says as his tail wags, happy. He smiles and we start to walk.

"You know I have a car, borrowing a car," he says pointing to his car. The green dodge charger. Typical.

"Can I get a ride?" I ask looking at Chase.

"Sure," he says walking over to his car. He opens the door for me and I look inside. I see different types of leather decorations. Different colors contrasted the black inter design. I look over at the mirror hanging from the ceiling of the car. Wrapped around the mirror is a rainbow colors peace sign. I feel my legs start to ache and I grab my leg.

"You okay?" Chase asks looking at me. Worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a few phantom pains," I say looking at Chase. I started to get phantom pains after the knife was removed from my leg after Rowen kidnapped me. I went through three different surgeries to help my leg and soon I had my knee cap removed and replaced with a metal one. After a few weeks. I healed and I was able to do track and cross country earlier this year. We get into the car and Chase starts the engine. The car starts with a roar. I smile as I look outside. He puts the car into reverse and drives out of the parking space. Shifts gears and send the car flying down the parking lot. I see trees and cars fly by as a thought hits me. "I didn't tell him where my friend lives," I look back at the guy and he smiles back. I immediately start to sweat as we stop at a red light.

"You gonna tell me where your friend lives or are we going on a joy ride. I'm fine with either," he says as we start to move. I smile as I realize he intended to help and not kidnap me.

"8979 Oak Street," I say looking at the shepherd. I focus on the rainbow-colored peace sign.

"Is he gay," I think to myself.

"No, look at him. Typical straight jock body. He's straight," I reply to myself. "There's no way he's straight,"

I see the house approach and I look at Chase.

"Want to come in?" I ask looking at him.

"Sure," He replies.