Chapter 26

A strong voice sounded from the kitchen as I walked through the wooden front door, unmistakably belonging to Zion's sister, Annika. She was visiting Vincent while she was in the area, though that rarely seemed to happen.

I took a seat on the couch by the kitchen without turning the television on in an attempt to overhear what they were talking about. But with how loudly Alec thundered down the stairs like an elephant, it was difficult to make out a single word. Holding my finger up to my lips to hush his steps, he seemingly caught on and tip toed over to the couch I sat on.

"What is it?" he whispered as I nodded my head in the direction of the kitchen.

"Annika's here," I whispered back.

"Does Zion know?" Alec asked.

I shrugged. "I just got home."

Listening in to the conversation in the kitchen, the two of us kept quiet, our curiosity getting the best of us.

"There's a tournament this weekend a few hours away," Annika told Vincent. "I probably won't be able to contact you for a few days."

"I'm sure you'll have Wi-Fi," Vincent said. "But do you think I could come?"

Annika took a few seconds to reply.

"Maybe next time," she said slowly.

I knew Vincent was frowning without having to see his face and Alec looked at me, shaking his head.

"Alright," Vincent said.

"Mmm," Annika mumbled. "I'll see you soon."

Exchanging a frantic look with Alec, we did not have enough time to move before Annika stalked into the living room, her long blonde hair flowing behind her. She made eye contact with me before staring at Alec, and I swore she must've turned into Medusa at that moment because neither of us were able to move. If Zion froze people with his glare, Annika turned them to stone.

Turning around to the kitchen once more, Annika announced, "You've got some eavesdroppers, Vincent."

And without waiting for a response, Annika walked out of the door with her head held high, an air of confidence surrounding her as she left us alone with Vincent.

"Snitch," Alec said as Vincent entered the living room.

Looking between the two of us, Vincent said, "Did you hear anything worthwhile?"

"What do you mean?" Alec asked. "We were watching TV."

"The television isn't even on, Alec," Vincent said with a sigh and I shoved his shoulder.

"Idiot," I said, narrowing my eyes at Alec who rolled his eyes.

Vincent took a seat across from us and leaned back.

"Things aren't looking good for me, are they?" he asked us.

"She's just going to a tournament," I said. "You'll see her when she gets back."

"I barely see her anymore though," Vincent said. "And she won't even let me come."

Alec stood up and walked over to the red-haired boy and patted him softly on the shoulder.

"It's alright," Alec said. "Don't think too much about it. I'm sure she'll come around soon."

"Yeah," Vincent said, offering a small smile. "Thanks."

Alec nodded his head and grinned before the three of us decided to head up to our bedrooms for the night. I wondered if Zion had returned home from work yet and checked to see if his door was closed. Upon finding it open, I peered inside once Alec and Vincent had disappeared, finding no sign of him.

He must've picked up another shift.

Well, retiring to my room, I fell onto my bed and shifted on my side, hearing the ruffling sound of a paper in my pocket. Then, remembering the note, I pulled it out and unfolded it.

I'd forgotten to give Arlen a call after he expressed his desire to talk about something that was bothering him. I hoped it wasn't too late and decided to call him.

After a few rings, I heard Arlen's voice answer on the other line.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Hey, it's me," I said. "Cade."

"Ah, Cade," Arlen said. "I've been waiting for your call."

I placed a hand on the back of my neck. "Sorry. I got caught up in a conversation when I got home."

Arlen laughed. "I'm just joking. Don't worry about it. At least we're able to talk now."

"Yeah," I said. "What's going on?"

He released a deep sigh. "I'm having relationship problems right now. You know what I'm talking about, don't you?"

"Sure," I said and then thinking about Zion, continued, "Well, not really."

"I take it your relationship is going well then," he replied. "I wish I could say the same."

"Is there something that you're worried about?" I asked.

"It's just that my girlfriend has become a lot more distant and we don't see each other often," he explained. "I'm hoping the trip we're going on this weekend will change things."

"I'm sure it will," I said. "Where are you two going?"

"Remember how I told you about her obsession with Yugioh?" he asked. "Apparently there's a tournament this weekend a few hours away and I asked if I could go with her."

My mind flickered back to the conversation I overheard Vincent have with Annika. And suddenly, I was putting pieces of a puzzle together in hopes they wouldn't connect.

"Really?" I asked and then slowly said, "What's her name-"

But my words were cut off as soon as my bedroom door opened, the person neglecting to knock first before he walked in, his blond hair cascading down his face.

"Who are you on the phone with?" Zion asked, sliding in beside me.

"Arlen," I said quickly.

"Why?" Zion questioned, sliding a hand up my thigh.

"Sorry," I apologized to Arlen. "My boyfriend just walked in. What were you saying?"

"Oh, it's nothing," Arlen said, as Zion's hand slid further up my leg, reaching that dangerous area.

Grabbing his hand, I pulled it away, and Zion leaned close, pressing his mouth to my ear as I shivered.

"Stop," I hissed.

"Let me say hi," Zion whispered in my ear.

"Sorry," Arlen apologized.

"No, I wasn't telling you to stop," I told Arlen.

"Oh," Arlen said. "I'll leave you two alone then."

"I'll call you another time then," I said. "Sorry about this."

I ended the call abruptly as Zion's tongue licked my ear, breathing out. "Ha.."

Then as he pulled away, I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You distracted me," I said.

"What did he have to say?" he asked, disregarding what I'd said.

"Why?" I said.

He shrugged. "I'm curious as to what this guy has to say to my boyfriend."

"Are you jealous perhaps?" I asked, grinning.

Now it was Zion's turn to glare.

"No," he said, pushing himself out of my bed. "I'm not."

"Then where are you going?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Without turning back to face me, he mumbled a reply before leaving.

"To bed."

---
thx for keepin me going, y'all (,: