Chapter 27

As Zion reached for the door handle, I quickly grabbed the pillow he had been using, and whipped it through the air. Zion frowned as he turned around, the pillow falling to the ground after it hit his butt softly.

"Why'd you do that?" Zion asked, bending down to pick up the pillow.

"Get over here," I told him.

Zion's eyes met mine briefly before he drew his arm back and launched the pillow back at me. I swiped it before it hit my face and set it down beside me, tapping it as an invitation for him to come back.

He released a sigh and trudged over to my bed, sitting on the side.

"What is it?" he asked.

Pushing myself up, I reached for his shirt and gave it a small tug.

"Come here," I said once more, laying my back down on the bed again.

Silently, Zion gave in and laid beside me, staring up at the ceiling.

"Listen," I told him. "Arlen slipped me his number so he could talk about some problems he's been having. I figured I'd let him get a few things off his chest which is why we were just on the phone."

Zion turned his head, his eyes meeting mine slowly.

"Is he alright?" he asked me.

I shrugged. "He's having relationship problems."

"Oh," Zion said. "That's tough."

"Yeah," I said, moving an inch closer. "I don't want us to have problems either. So don't leave without saying anything when you're upset. It's important that we talk about it."

"I know," he said, reaching out a hand. "I'm sorry."

I smiled as he traced his fingers along the side of my face. "Dummy."

"Shut up," he said as he wrapped his arm around my back, pulling me close to him.

I tossed my leg over his and breathed in his scent, relaxing into his larger body.

"Did you give him any good advice?" Zion asked, rubbing my back softly.

I laughed. "I couldn't."

"Why's that?" he questioned, knowing full well it was because he interrupted me.

"You know, you idiot," I said, squeezing him.

"What kind of relationship problems is he having?" he inquired.

I shifted a little. "His girlfriend hasn't been spending much time with him lately."

Thinking back, I realized Arlen never told me his girlfriend's name. And I had my suspicions about who she could be.

"Hmm," Zion said. "What's he going to do about it?"

"He's going to a Yugioh tournament this weekend with her in order to spend some more time together," I told him.

When he didn't connect the dots, I realized Zion wasn't home when Vincent told us about the tournament Annika was going to this weekend as well.

"Annika's going this weekend, too," I said.

"I don't care," he said. "I already told you that her life doesn't concern me."

"That's not why I'm telling you," I said. "She told Vinny he couldn't go with her."

"And?" Zion asked. "Are you thinking she's going with Arlen instead?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I shouldn't be making assumptions."

Zion remained quiet for a few moments before he spoke up again.

"Annika and I have never had a good relationship," he began. "But things got worse after we both dated the same guy. And I've always kept a thought in the back of my mind that maybe she was the one who took him from me despite knowing about our relationship."

"You think she would do that to you?" I asked, trying to meet his eyes.

"I don't know," he said. "But I wouldn't put it past her."

"So do think there's a chance she's cheating on Arlen and Vinny?" I said.

"I really don't know," he said again. "She better not be so low."

"Vinny would be devastated," I said. "Arlen too."

"I know," he said. "But I think Vinny needs to know."

"Should we tell him tomorrow?" I asked.

"Let's sleep on it," he said. "I'm exhausted. And beyond pissed if Annika is really playing both of them right now."

"Okay," I said. "Goodnight."

Pushing myself up to reach Zion's lips, I pressed mine to his softly before pulling away.

"Goodnight, Cade."

———

The next morning, I slowly opened my eyes and felt the heat from Zion's body pressed against mine. Our legs were tangled together and it was difficult for me to move without waking him up. I slowly reached my hand out and moved the hair from out of his face, causing him to open his eyes.

He groaned before closing them again and wrapped his arms around my back, pulling me into him.

I laughed as I wrapped my arms around him as well.

"Someone's cranky," I said.

"It's fucking early, Cade," he replied.

"Don't you have to go to work?" I asked.

"Not today," he said. "Let's go back to sleep."

"No," I said. "We need to think about if we're going to tell Vinny and how."

"We'll just tell him the way you told me," he suggested. "And see if he's able to put two and two together himself."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "What if Annika isn't going with Arlen and we're just stressing Vinny out for no reason?"

I felt Zion shrug.

"I'd want to know if I was in his situation," he said. "It's better to leave before things get worse."

"I guess so," I said as we both released each other, slowly climbing out of bed.

After washing up in the bathroom, the two of us headed down the stairs. Upon walking into the kitchen, Alec whipped his head around and grinned.

"Good morning, folks," he said, taking a bite of his cereal.

"Mornin'," Zion replied, taking a seat beside Alec. "Have you seen Vinny?"

"Boo."

Alec jumped in his seat as Vincent erupted in laughter behind him and Zion shook his head.

"I meant to scare Zion, but you got scared instead," Vincent said to Alec, snickering. "What's up, everyone?"

Exchanging a look with Zion, I wasn't sure how to bring up the whole Annika situation. And it was difficult to when Alec was here too.

Despite this, Zion took the initiative to talk about his sister with Vincent.

Vincent's expressions changed throughout the story and it was evident that he was able to make the connection between Annika and Arlen. Though, instead of being sad, he seemed angry when he replied to Zion.

"Looks like I have a damn tournament to go to this weekend."

———
thx for reading (: