Chapter 2

"Nice to meet you," I said, offering a smile as I held out my hand.

I refused to miss a beat.

Alec's lips curved up wickedly at my wittiness as he took my hand in his rougher, larger one.

"You as well," he replied, giving my hand a tight squeeze before he released it.

Taking a seat beside a woman two years my senior, she leaned over and whispered a remark about our new coworker.

"Isn't he handsome?" the woman whispered to me.

I sighed. "No, not particularly."

Alec's shoulders rose as he puffed out a laugh, overhearing our conversation from the space behind us.

Marcy had been working here for five years now and if there was one thing I've learned about her, it was that she loved to gossip. I assumed Alec would be her new topic of discussion and frankly, I wanted nothing to do with it.

Well, I did my best to ignore my housemate for as long as I could as I busied myself in the files dumped on my desk. Soon enough, a ball of paper rolled across my desk and I knew it'd been thrown by that immature brat behind me. I considered throwing it back at him but I didn't want to interact with him any more than I had to and resorted to tossing it into the trash bin beside my desk.

Though, another one soon hit my back and fell to the ground. I whipped around in my chair, lowering my eyes in a glare.

"Do you need something?" I asked through gritted teeth.

Alec's smile grew again as he leaned back in his chair lazily. "No."

I huffed at his ridiculousness and turned my back to him once more when footsteps sounded, entering our office. I glanced over at my boss as he stalked into the office as the rest of the heads in the room turned to him. He nodded his head in a greeting and straightened his tie before he began to speak.

Making eye contact with Alec, our boss grinned, saying, "I hope you've settled in nicely."

Alec shot a wide grin back at the older fellow. "I sure have."

Our boss simply chuckled and turned his attention to the rest of us.

"Would anyone mind showing Alec around the building?" he asked. "I would, but I'm quite busy at the moment."

I watched as Marcy's hand shot up into the air before our boss even finished speaking. He raised an eyebrow at her before deciding she could be the one to do the dreadful job. But, I should've known better.

Alec was a crazy mother fucker.

He rose from the chair behind me and gave a small tug on the back of my shirt, causing me to turn my head to look at him. His eyes were trained on our boss and he opened his mouth to speak.

"He'll do it," Alec said, reaching down to grab my hand.

I quickly swiped it away before he could touch me but our boss agreed to Alec's decision, taking his leave within a second.

I narrowed my eyes at the despicable guy before me, spinning around completely to face him.

"I don't have time," I told him, squishing my eyebrows together in anger.

He lowered himself to me, placing his mouth by my ear as shivers ran down my spine. "Spare me a moment."

I softly pressed on his chest with my fingers, pushing him away before I rose from my desk, averting my eyes. A moment was all I had to give.

And so, I began to walk briskly, exiting the office as quickly as I could and Alec sped up to make up the distance I had left him behind. I spared just a few words as we passed by various rooms of the building and neglected to answer his questions. He should've known not to choose me to give him a tour.

"Hey," Alec said upon reaching the bathrooms on the third floor. He even stopped walking.

"What is it?" I mumbled.

"Look," he said, his eyes falling to the ground. "I wanted to use this time to talk to you."

I had nothing to say to him. I'd made myself vulnerable in front of him when I confessed and he took off without a word. I didn't understand what he expected me to say to a dog like him anyway.

"Then you're wasting your time," I told him, lifting my eyes to finally meet his. When he didn't reply, I released a deep sigh and continued to speed throughout the halls as he trailed behind me. Upon arriving back at the office, I was a bit out of breath and Alec ran a hand through his hair.

Marcy looked up at the two of us as a blush crept across her cheeks and I shook my head, mentally cursing her for getting the wrong idea.

"Did you two just—"

"No," I cut her off. "It's not what you're thinking."

I didn't need her spreading unnecessary rumors throughout the office.

Well, I managed to ignore Alec for most of the day but honestly, it was hard to do. Especially since I still held onto my pathetic feelings for the guy.

———

We arrived home at the same time and I walked into the kitchen as a head of dark, red hair peered around the counter. The boy's eyes widened upon the discovery of the figure behind me and I sighed, taking a seat beside him.

"You're back," Vincent, the red-haired boy said to Alec.

Alec's lips curved up in a smirk. "Vinny."

"Where've you been?" Vincent asked him.

"Where do you think?" I muttered and Vincent elbowed my arm lightly.

"With an older woman I'd suppose," Vincent said. "That seems to be his type."

Alec snickered at Vincent's assumption.

"She was older," Alec told him, sliding into the seat across from me. "But she wasn't exactly my type."

Vincent frowned as I reached over to grab one of his crackers. Reaching out his hand, he pulled the cracker out from mine and caused it to crumble onto the countertop.

"Idiot," I said.

Vincent laughed and looked over at Alec.

"Then what's your type?" Vincent further questioned.

Alec's eyes met mine for a brief moment and I swore my heart stopped. But he returned them to Vincent before uttering a response.

"I don't think I have one, Vinny."

———
thank you for reading (: