Chapter 14

Constant chatter sounded from the next room over as I attempted to shut my eyes and get a little sleep before work and I groaned at my inability to do so. It appeared as though Annika was still here in Vincent's bedroom and the two just couldn't keep their mouths shut.

I wondered what they could possibly be talking about and how they even knew each other because Zion never had her frequent the house before. If anything, he probably did his best to keep her away. Judging by his attitude and actions toward her, I wouldn't say they were exactly close. There must've been something going on between the two of them.

Well, I decided to get up earlier than I'd wanted and slowly changed my clothes, getting ready for the long day of work ahead of me. I wasn't bothered by the fact that I'd see Alec there and grinned to myself out of contentment that I'd finally moved on. With Alec out of my head, I could enjoy myself and focus on whatever I wanted.

Perhaps it was time for a new love.

Just kidding. I wasn't ready for that.

Anyway, opening my door to head down the stairs, I came across a particular messy red-haired boy who stretched his arms high above his head and yawned, a high-pitch sound escaping his mouth.

"Ah!" Vincent yelled upon the sight of me as he did a little jump. Apparently I'd frightened him.

"Vinny," I said, my eyelids tugging down over my eyes due to the lack of sleep I'd gotten.

"Cade," Vincent said, pulling up his shirt that had fallen down his shoulder. "Good morning."

"Yeah," I said. "Morning. Thanks for waking me up so early."

"I did?" Vincent asked as he reached out a hand. Patting my shoulder softly, he looked up at me with a frown. "I'm sorry."

I released a small laugh. "I'm just messin' with you."

Vincent smiled and I peered behind him to catch sight of Annika, but he moved his head along with mine, blocking his bedroom.

"Curious, are we?" Vincent asked, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Of course I am," I said. "You were with a woman all night."

"Would you like to see?" he said.

"It's not about seeing her," I replied. "I'm just curious as to what is going on between you two."

With his mouth open as he was about to speak, two doors opened simultaneously as two more sleep-deprived boys walked out.

"Traffic jam," Vincent said with a snicker as the four of us stared at each other.

"You're up early," Alec said, his eyes on Vincent. "For someone who doesn't have classes today."

"He never went to sleep," I told Alec. "And I don't think I did either."

Zion remained silent in his doorway throughout the exchange and leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Is that so?" Alec said, sending Vincent a wink. "Is she in there?"

Vincent's eyes found Zion's before he returned them to Alec, muttering a quiet, "Yes."

Zion released a sigh and silently dismissed himself to the kitchen where I assumed he'd be making breakfast.

Alec puffed out a laugh. "Is there something you're not telling us?"

I watched as the tips of Vincent's ears turned red and a grin spread across his lips. "We played Yugioh."

"Bro, what?" Alec said as uncontrollable laughter escaped me. "That's it?"

"What do you mean?" Vincent asked. "I went to a tournament recently where I bumped into her and she wanted to play against me."

Alec smiled widely at the innocent fellow and nodded his head. "I see."

"Yeah, well, if you'll excuse me, I need to get some sleep now," Vincent said before heading back into his bedroom.

Glancing over at Alec, I noticed a golden chain strung around his neck and narrowed my eyes.

"Why are you-" I started to ask as Vincent's bedroom door opened once more, Annika stepping out.

She released a yawn and looked at the two of us before deciding not to utter a word of any kind and like her brother, silently walked down the stairs. When voices sounded from the kitchen, my curiosity got the best of me as I abandoned my question for Alec and stalked down the stairs.

"Are you still mad?" I heard Annika question Zion. "Look, how was I supposed to know you two were together? He hadn't made any effort to tell me. And it's not like I would've purposely gone out with him if I knew you two were dating, Zion."

Having a similar idea, I felt Alec's presence behind me as the two of us listened to the interesting conversation.

"Shit," Alec said. "They're talking about Amber's brother."

I glanced at him with an eyebrow raised. "The one who cheated on Zion?"

Alec nodded his head. "He must've cheated on Zion with Annika."

Zion hadn't replied to his sister and when I slowly attempted to get a look into the kitchen, I found Zion's eyes on me and practically jumped at the sight.

"Shit," I whispered before unwillingly stepping out into the kitchen.

Annika turned to me and Alec and her eyes mirrored the expression on Zion's face.

"Sorry," I offered tentatively. "We'll be taking our leave."

Without waiting for a reply from either sibling, Alec and I quickly rushed out of the house and piled into my car.

Releasing a deep sigh, I slumped into the driver's seat and took a moment of silence for myself. If looks could kill, I'd be dead by Zion's eyes right now.

"What were you saying before?" Alec asked me when I seemingly returned from my trance as I pulled out of the driveway.

"Oh," I said, narrowing my eyes once more. "Why are you wearing that necklace?"

Looking down at the chain, Alec wrapped his fingers around it.

"I thought it'd be okay since you said you don't have feelings for me anymore," he replied. "And I really like it."

Alec just couldn't stop proving to me what a crazy motherfucker he was.

"I really like it too," I said, my pettiness getting the best of me.

"Do you want it back?" he asked.

"No," I said.

He could keep thinking about me every time he wore the necklace.

I just couldn't understand why I had feelings for such an idiot in the first place.

———
thx for reading (: