Chapter 3

The wooden door creaked open moments later and another figure walked through, plopping his bags to the floor. He found his way to the kitchen as the three of us watched him open a cabinet without a word.

"Zion," Vincent said to our housemate. "Alec's back."

With his back still to us, Zion replied, "I see that."

"Oh, I wasn't aware you had eyes in the back of your head," Vincent said and Alec puffed out a laugh.

Zion was the oldest member of our house and the most mysterious. His blond hair was long enough that he sometimes pulled it back into a small bun and he had tattoos running down one of his arms. I'd say he was handsome, even more so than Alec, and he knew it. He also worked at a tattoo shop down the road and was one of the best artists in the area.

We got along well though and he was someone I knew I could trust. He just wasn't always very friendly.

"Cade," Zion said upon grabbing a cup of ramen.

I glanced over at him and grimaced.

"Did you eat one of my ramens?" he asked, his dark eyes burning into mine.

Vincent clicked his tongue and shook his head at me.

"By accident," Vincent said. "He didn't mean to."

"Vinny," Zion said, his voice deep. "How does one boil a pot of water, pour it into a cup of ramen, wait three minutes, and eat it 'by accident'?" Zion asked.

Vincent's eyes shot to my own and I knew he'd failed at trying to back me up.

"Jesus Vinny," I breathed. "You're an idiot."

"Hmm," Alec said. "Right now Cade, I'd say you're the idiot."

I wasn't sure why Alec thought he had the right to speak at that moment.

I willed my eyes to look up at the intimidating fellow before me and I pursed my lips before speaking.

"Sorry," I said. "I thought the ramen belonged to Vinny."

"Yeah," Vincent said. "He's always trying to eat my stuff."

I looked down at the crumbs from the cracker I'd attempted to steal from him and grinned. I appreciated the fact that he was trying to back me up.

"Whatever," Zion said, beginning to boil a pot of water. "Just know that you owe me."

I presumed I owed Zion a cup of ramen and I wasn't bothered by that since I'd only have to spare a few cents. I wasn't aware that the two of us weren't on the same page, though.

Anyway, I dismissed myself from the kitchen and entered my bedroom, collapsing on the bed. My mind wandered to work where Alec somehow landed a job at the same company and it infuriated me. I didn't understand how he could show up after four months and act as if nothing happened.

Pulling out my cellphone, I scrolled through my contacts until I reached one by the name of Dog. I clicked on it and the phone began to ring.

The owner of that fitting contact answered within a few rings and I looked up at my ceiling.

"Cade," Alec said. "What-"

"Come here," I told him and immediately hung up the phone.

A few moments passed in which my heart began to speed up and Alec knocked on the door twice before pushing it open. He leaned on the white trim of the doorframe and stared at me from across the room.

"Is there something you need?" he asked me, pushing the dark hair out of his eyes.

I hadn't bothered to push myself up in bed and continued to stare at the ceiling. Lifting a hand as if it was the most painstaking thing I could do at the moment, I silently waved him over.

I wasn't sure where the bravery that erupted inside of me came from but I concluded it was only because I wanted answers. Well, I needed them.

Alec carefully took a seat on the side of my bed and I finally pushed myself up to look him in the eyes.

"Do you think I still have feelings for you?" I asked him, the direct question probably surprising him. "Because I can assure you that I don't."

Alec ruffled his dark hair in his hand and looked down at my bed. "I know. You already said that."

"Good," I said. "But even so, I still want to know why you left after I told you how I felt."

"It's complicated," Alec told me.

I wasn't satisfied with his answer.

"Were you repulsed?" I further questioned. "Did you find it weird?"

He shook his head. "I didn't have a problem with it."

"Then why did you leave?" I asked.

Alec breathed out and took a moment to reply. "You confessed the same day that woman asked me to move in with her."

"So it was a coincidence?" I said. "That I just happened to tell you and you just happened to leave that day because of that woman?"

"Yes," he said.

"You didn't leave because of me?" I asked.

"No, Cade," he said. "Sure, I was surprised when you told me, but I didn't hate it, you know. It's not like I would leave you for something like that."

"Oh," I said, unsure of what to say.

I watched as Alec's lips curved up in a small smile before he reached over and softly patted my head. He scrunched my hair in his hand and laughed.

"I'll always be here for you, Cade," he assured me as I swatted his hand away. "And I'm sorry if that's how I made you feel."

"It's fine," I told him. "I already said it's in the past. I was just wondering."

"Okay," he said, pushing off of my bed. "I'll see you later."

Once Alec left my room, I collapsed on my back once more and sighed.

At this rate, I'd never get over my feelings for him. Especially since I now knew the truth.

But he didn't need to know that my feelings for him never stopped during those few months he was gone. And I'd never tell him.

I knew I'd only end up failing like last time.

———
lemme know what you think (: