Chapter 20

3 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, and 47 minutes. That was how long Cas had been missing for now. The search was growing weaker and weaker for her, even with Katy now acting as a double agent for everyone. They were constantly on a wild goose chase, and even Katy, no matter how much she tried, couldn't get Cas's location out of Mack or Mark.

Klaus was an absolute wreck. He could feel his fiancé slipping into madness. He could feel her every pain. Read her every thought. See her every vision she had, every hallucination. And he was heartbroken. He had tried so desperately to push into her head and communicate with her, but he wasn't able to get through for some reason. He didn't know why. Karoline and Elijah did it all the time, so why couldn't he? He didn't understand. He was starting to grow a bit thin because he wasn't eating much, let alone consuming blood as often as he should. It worried everyone around him, but he just couldn't help it. All he wanted was his fiancé back. That was all he cared about. He wanted her and wanted his family to be whole again.

Karoline was growing more and more frustrated. It seemed like every time they got close to finding Cas, she slipped away. It was like her location was constantly bouncing. Her and Freya tried every spell they could to locate her, but it was to no avail. 

The group was currently making their way through the state of Virginia when they passed a sign on a main road that read 'Welcome to Mystic Falls!'. Klaus immediately tried to protest going here, but they had to at least try to search for her here. It was one location out of many that they hadn't checked.

Klaus glared up at the mansion he had once called home and sighed, shaking his head as he made his way inside. It was pretty much the same as the day he'd left it, but with much more dust. After some deep cleaning and everyone getting settled into their rooms, he laid in bed quietly, staring up at the ceiling and letting his mind wander. He had been so lost in his thoughts that he hadn't heard his bedroom door open.

"Nik? The uh, Salvatore brothers, are downstairs," Rebekah spoke up quietly, Wesley at her side. The two had grown increasingly closer, basically dating at this point but without really an official label. Lord knows they slept together constantly, both just in the same bed and also in a sexual way of course.

"Send them away."

"I've tried. They're quite insistent."

Klaus groaned and got up, the frown on his face growing deeper as he left his bedroom. He made his way down the steps and into the living room where the said brothers stood. "What do you want?" He crossed his arms over his chest, clearly not in the mood.

"A better question is, what do you want?" Damon glared at Klaus, standing in a similar stance with his arms crossed over his chest.

"What he means to ask is, why exactly are you here, Klaus?" Stefan glanced at his brother before looking at the man he once called his best friend.

"Relax. We aren't staying. If it were my choice, I wouldn't even be here." He shook his head and went to the area in the living room where he had a bar setup, pouring himself a glass of scotch.

The Salvatore brothers looked at him in confusion then at each other before looking back at him.

"You're kidding, right?" Damon asked and scoffed. "You of all people come back to this town, after everything you've done, and you're just, what, popping in randomly for a visit?"

Klaus rolled his eyes and sipped on his drink silently. He'd been a lot more quiet lately.

Wesley looked at Klaus sympathetically and decided to take over on the speaking part. "We're just here to search for someone. His fiancé. She's been missing for three and a half months. We just want to look around here, then we'll be off."