3 | Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop

Violet

        "I CAN'T HELP you with that, but maybe I can offer you a cookie?" Louis' voice projected across from me.

        We were sitting at a small table in the same Starbucks I encountered when I first got to the airport. This time, it seems like the other worker left and a new one took his place. She was a girl, younger than the other guy. She had platinum blonde hair, straight bangs that stopped just over her eyes, and cute quirky freckles. She couldn't stop looking at Louis. That doesn't bother me though. Why would it?

        I sighed, "Fine, I'll take the cookie."

        I reached for the ripped off piece of his chocolate chip cookie, plopping it into my mouth. We were talking about the fact that I have not started any of my summer reading assignments for my AP Literature class. We were supposed to read Romeo and Juliet and write an essay on, "Death for Love: Is that realistic?"

        I ultimately decided to put it off for the first month of summer and then July came along and I still haven't started it. I only have a few more weeks until school comes back around and I have no idea what I'm going to do. The guiding question is literally called, "Death for Love" I've never felt love, apparently I've never seen love, and I don't believe in it. Love is just some made up word that an old man created because he was bored and everyone ate it up. 

        "I just don't understand how I'm supposed to write about love if it's not real, y'know?" I spastically raised my hands around, complaining about the stupid assignment that my stupid self decided to work on last minute.

        "I think love is real." he shrugged his shoulders, biting into a piece of what's left of his cookie.

        "Okay then, explain to me, how is love real? Because it's not physical yet people act like there are physical causes. I just think that that's you being infatuated by someone."

        "Is air real?" he stared into my hazel eyes as I furrowed my eyebrows.

        I scoffed, "You're comparing love to air? You don't need love to live. But yes, air is real."

        "Love is... an emotion. Like happiness or sadness. You can't prove it, you just feel it."

        "Have you felt it?" I wondered. He looked down at the table before looking back up at me.

        "No, I haven't. But I will one day, and you will too, and that man over there huddling over the trash can will feel it one day as well," he laughed, motioning his head to the guy. "I promise you, you will."

"That's a big promise, Lou. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to never fall in love, probably never date anyone, never get my first kiss, never have children, and die. That's going to happen. I'm sure of it." I spoke quickly, seemingly spilling whatever was stuck in the gear shifts of my mind.

"I think it'll happen soon. Maybe even sooner than you think." he moved his tongue to the side of his cheek, looking innocent yet suspicious.

"Oh, so you're a psychic now?"

"I just think it'll happen soon. Perhaps on your trip to London. They say Paris is the city of love, but I think London has its moments." he smirked.