9 | Yellow

Violet

        BAGS ARE PACKED, CHECK. Texted my dad, check. Bought my plane ticket, check.

Today, I am going back to California. I thought about staying here, I thought about it for quite some time actually. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, and Raina, and even Chris, but something just doesn't feel right here.

Who am I kidding? It's Louis. I can't stay here because all I will think of is him. I can't be here and know that he's only an hour away, I can't be here and know that he is swapping spit with some girl, I can't be here and know that I played myself.

After a long needed cry, I told my mom everything; the Ontario Airport, the flight here, the kiss— my first kiss, his girlfriend. It wouldn't be good to stay here and luckily, my mom understood. She couldn't stay in California after what happened between her and dad. I think I finally get it.

"Boys are stupid. I honestly have no idea how your mom even settled on me." Chris laughed. His arm was around mom's shoulder as we stood by the kitchen counter.

"Maybe it's because of how desperate you were for me." Mom replied. She laughed and I found myself smiling at their conversation.

I was mad at her for a while. I was mad that she left dad and I, but I think I was just being selfish. She needed to leave. She didn't like her life and I could never hate her for that. I was just angry that I was apart of the life that she didn't like. Now, I kind of feel like I'm inching towards the life that she does like.

My whole life, I felt like the second choice to everyone. My mom, my friends, Louis. It's nice to finally be picked.

        "I have to head out soon, my flight's at 6 P.M. and I like to be early." I softly smiled as theirs dimmed a little.

        "Okay, but you have to come back soon. You've been bragging about your football arm and I need proof." Chris grinned.

        "Oh, I could easily take you down." I snickered.

        Mom laughed, "Okay, Kaepernick and Tom Brady, it's time to start packing the car."

        Chris grabbed my suitcase and walked to the car as I stayed back in the kitchen with mom. She actually looked like she was on the verge of crying.

        "Are you sure you don't want to stay? Because we can redo the guest bedroom however you want, we really don't mind." she placed her hand on my shoulder as I tried my best not to let out a tear.

        "I'll come back soon. I just- I can't stay. It's a bit much here. And plus, dad needs me." That wasn't entirely true. Dad would probably be better off without having to take care of me, but if I say that it's Louis, it'll feel a lot more real.

        "I'm not gonna press, but maybe we can have you for Christmas? I'm sure Raina would like to have you there. Before she went to sleep last night, she asked where you were."

        I didn't come back until way later. After seeing Louis, I wanted to drown my sorrow in ice cream, but "Kat's Ice Cream Parlor" wasn't open. So, I trekked all the way to some random supermarket, bought a small tub of strawberry ice cream, and cried on the sidewalk. It was about midnight so fortunately there weren't that many people who saw me crying like a crazed maniac. Then, when I got back I cried to my mom.