nine

"hm,"

xiao deadpanned once he heard that hum, he knew exactly what hidden meanings lie behind xingqiu's hums that are followed by a few seconds of silence.

after doing that thing he regretted so much, which was asking childe and kaeya for advice (he should've honestly asked albedo instead because he would've given him a logical answer, despite being a loner whose only friend is sucrose), he decided to ask someone else, and that someone was none other than his mischievous blue-haired friend: xingqiu.

chongyun, who sat on xingqiu's right, looked at the dark blue-haired boy with an awkward smile and furrowed light blue eyebrows. what made things more awkward for xiao and chongyun was how xingqiu had his eyes glued to some book in his hand, his other hand stroking his chin in a cartoonish manner.

xiao, getting fed up with the awkward silence, gripped the grass under him so tightly he ripped out some chunks of it. glaring at the male in front of him who had a rather smug smile, he spoke, "can you just say it and get it over with? i shouldn't have asked you for anything." he snapped at him, dark eyebrows knit together in annoyance.

he expected xingqiu to pull some asshole move like this— he's xingqiu, after all.

taking his precious time with his answer, the dark blue-haired male who sat cross-legged in front of xiao looked up from his book, before placing a blue-colored bookmark in his book and setting it on his lap. with the same mischievous smile on his pale face, xingqiu had his hands pressed together, "i think you should give it some time, my liege."

of course, xiao also expected this answer. he knew xingqiu was right, but he didn't want to admit it.

groaning, xiao then had his head in his hands. of course, things are never easy for him, and the thing is: he had a bad day to begin with.

first, razor, in his feral glory, had the audacity to eat his lunch (which was almond tofu, what a surprise), then he got a bunch of love letters (and he hates those things, but xiao is quite the popular pretty boy), then he found out that you, the dumbest bitch he's ever met, talked to your ex-boyfriend again, and finally, the worst thing that happened today to xiao: his mod application to a discord server he was interested in got declined.

and other than being in a shitty mood almost 24/7, the fact that there are pretty much zero chances you'll like him back made him feel even worse. and verr goldet has the audacity to ask him about his bad mood everyday.

"what should i do about this... whole thing?" he spoke, voice quiet as he looked at xingqiu and chongyun from the cracks between his slender fingers.

"well, you should wait, of course," replied the light blue-haired boy, a melting popsicle in his right hand, "just until (y/n)'s ex is out of the picture."

the teal-haired male just nodded his head, removing his hands away from his face. so what he has to do is wait for your ex to get out of your life, but he obviously can't wait. what is he supposed to do, murder him to actually get him out of the picture? perhaps. why are you even talking to your ex anyway? you were heartbroken, and xiao was helping you get over him— but suddenly, that guy was talking to you again.

maybe xiao should send him another full-length paragraph of him telling (ex/n) to shut the fuck up.

"what if i text (y/n) from an unknown number like xingqiu's fanfictions? that seems to work most of the time. and then later i'd conf—... no, nevermind." xiao spoke as he looked at the two boys with his eyebrows slightly furrowed, the usual. one of them was covering his mouth with his hand in an attempt to muffle his chuckles, and the other looked mortified. it's quite obvious which one out of xingqiu and chongyun was the mortified one.