thirteen

you've recently noticed that xiao has been acting weird. not around the rest of your friends, but around you. you've had your suspicions- you've read a good amount of romance books and watched movies, it'd be dumb of you to not notice that xiao very obviously likes you.

you noticed how he'd get flustered around you to the point of stuttering (which is not a very xiao thing) and the way he hides his ears with his hair, or when he'd stop breathing around you or have his whole body completely stiffened when he's close to you- but what if you were wrong? what if this was just you trying to convince yourself that someone else would like you after (ex/n)?

you're not going to bring this up to xiao, to avoid embarrassing both yourself and him.

eventually, you made your way to the empty park and spotted xiao sitting on one of the swings on the rusty swing set near the playground. you were thankful that there were no kids around, especially that little girl who always brings fireworks with her.

xiao was swinging a bit, his feet barely touching the grassy ground, and you honestly thought it was adorable. something about xiao's height made him cuter than he already is.

right, you should move because, to anyone that isn't you, it looked like you're stalking xiao with the way you're staring at him, standing behind a tree.

you made your way to him, as silent as possible, and when you were standing behind his unaware figure, you leaned forward and gently wrapped your arms around his neck. "surprise, shawty." you whispered as you felt him jump a bit, but then he relaxed and leaned into you as you stood behind him.

"don't do that again." he grunted, crossing his arms and thanking the gods that you weren't seeing his face. it didn't help that you placed your chin on top of his head, it was almost like you were doing this on purpose. did you know that he's completely smitten with you? were you just teasing him?

xiao felt like he was about to melt any second. it didn't help that he felt so small with your chin on his head. he felt smaller than he already is.

you chuckled in response, and the way your voice sounded like it was vibrating (or was it just xiao?) made him shiver.

exhaling a shaky breath, xiao uncrossed his arms and brought his clammy hands to rest on your forearms, slender, pale fingers dragging all the way to your wrists and holding them gently. you smiled, appreciating the gesture.

"you wanted to talk. in person." you spoke after a few seconds of comfortable silence, listening to the occasional chirping of birds and cars driving nearby. you were glad there were no children around you to disturb the moment you're having with xiao.

xiao cleared his throat and removed his hands from your wrists, as you unwrapped your hands from around his neck. you moved to the other swing and sat down, and unlike xiao, your feet actually touched the ground.

"yes." he responded, his hands gripping the chains on either side of him. you looked at him, kicking your feet against the ground to swing a bit. the teal-haired boy looked at you for a second then he looked away, attempting to swing as well- although it wasn't very easy considering that he can't really reach the group. "i..."

"you...?"

with furrowed eyebrows, xiao gripped the chains tighter. "i... uh, i ate your almond tofu yesterday, that's why it wasn't in your locker when you searched for it." the smile on your face disappeared and you deadpanned.

there's no way that was what he wanted to say. sure, you may be stupid to some extent, but you're pretty sure that wasn't what he wanted to say.

"are you serious?" you questioned, ceasing your swinging. "you dragged me out of my house to tell me about something i forgot about?" a frown formed on your face as xiao just rolled his golden eyes, not looking at you.