6. goodbyes

(parental)
song: saturn - sleeping at last
warnings: none
word count: 494
———————————

I stood near the lake as I and a few more people said our goodbyes to the now-deceased man. I was partially confused. Yes, he deserved this. He was a great man who did great things— but didn't she do the same? mom always had a kind soul. She did the greatest deeds. So, why didn't she get a goodbye? All she got was a cry and no goodbye? No memorial? She sacrificed everything for this.

As everyone left the memorial I stayed near the lake. I took out the bracelet I made for her as a child and tied it to her favorite bouquet of flowers, daisies. I squat down near the water and placed it onto the lake and watched it float away.

Still standing there I felt a presence behind me. "You hear to say goodbye to Tony?" A male voice asked. I recognize that voice. It was Steve. "No, I'm saying goodbye to mom." My voice quivered the slightest bit at the mention of the nickname I call her.

He nodded understandingly and spoke again "Mind if I say my goodbyes as well?". I nodded and scooted aside a little to give space for him to stand beside me. I knew Steve was close to mom they did most of their missions together and would hang out outside of "work" a lot.

"We all miss her you know" I knew that, but I had a bit of doubt about it.

So, without thinking, I said "why aren't they here then?" He sighed, probably expecting this.

"It's complicated"

"Is it? Is it so complicated that she can't get her own damn funeral?" I paused, realizing I slightly raised my voice at him but continued after a few seconds

"Sorry... It's just- I think she really deserves one. It seems like everyone already forgot about her. I mean she sacrificed everything for this and she doesn't even get a funeral?" He didn't say anything. but from the look he had, he most likely agreed.

Silence overcame us again and after a few minutes, i looked to my side and saw him looking at his compass. He misses her and knowing he's traveling back in time to put the stones back, he isn't going to come back.

"I'm gonna be heading now, got a big job to do" I nodded and walked up to him and gave him a last hug. He hugged me back and in a few seconds tears rolled down my cheeks and choked out sobs came out.

"Good luck with her." I pulled back seeing his shocked but grateful expression.

"I'll miss you" I said sniffling. He smiled and said he'll miss me too.

Then he started walking away. Further and further until he wasn't visible anymore. I turned my head back towards the lake and sighed.

I lost both people in the world I care for most and I had no choice but accept it.