9. Another lifetime

Song: In My Dreams - Ruth B
Warnings: none
I really liked this idea but idk how to feel abt this
——————————-

The 2 times you almost said I love you, and the one time you finally did.

—1. The new year's party

The countdown started as everyone grabbed their partners to kiss for the new year to come. A popular thing to do really. And naturally, I found it quite adorable, but there was one problem though. I've never had anyone to kiss for new year's. Failing relationships were like my thing, besides I couldn't really keep anything for more than a week without a particular red-headed assassin filling my thoughts. Speaking of the redhead... maybe it's about time I tell her? The idea has been plaguing my mind for the longest time, hasn't it? Why don't I go ahead and do it then? Wasn't it simple?

Thoughts swarmed my head as the 15-second mark showed on the big screen. Sighing I contemplated the idea in my head once again before finally telling myself that 'the longer I keep this in the worse it'll get'. So, I searched for the ginger around the room. Finally finding her. I speed-walked quickly after facing the countdown once more... 7 seconds. Shouts of the final seconds filled my ears as I finally reached her.

7

"Hey you" she spoke

"Hey, this is very important and this was an impulse decision but I gotta tell you something."

6

"Alright, I'm all ears"

5

My mouth hung open as I tried to say the 3 words that could be the start or the end of something.

4

'Just say it just say it, come on what's the matter with you?' My inner thoughts yelled at me.

3

"Hey, y/n you still with me?"

"Yeah.. sorry"

2

"What we're you gonna tell me"

Sigh "Natasha I-" I cut myself off.

1

Cheering filled my ears but all I could process was her and how her eyes began to drift off to the side, then how her expressions shifted, I've never seen that look on her. Of course, being curious, my eyes followed her eyes' direction. And to my disappointment, her gaze was directed at him. The scientist, the genius, the big guy. A rush of jealousy, disappointment, and sadness ran through my body.

what was I thinking?

She cleared her throat making me snap my head back in her direction before she spoke to me again. "We're you gonna tell me something?"

"I— Never mind, it wasn't important don't worry."

I could see the suspicion in her eyes but to my luck, she brushed it off.

I quickly excused myself from her and walked to the balcony.

'Maybe another time' was what I told myself.

2. — The dance

I stood alone in the middle of the ballroom, martini in hand. Soft classical music bounced off the large speakers while all the couples danced. I sighed wishing maybe one day that could be me.

Looking around I spotted her we stood there staring. Hours, seemingly. It wasn't more than 12 seconds, really.

Suddenly, she started to walk over to me.