7. my kind of woman

song: my kind of woman - Mac Demarco
warnings: none
word count: -579
notes: TYSMM FOR 100+ VOTES ILYY!!
———————————-

I was ecstatic sitting in my car driving home. It's been fully a year since we've been together and it's safe to say I'm whipped.

I arrive at our place taking the small daisy bouquet I bought for her and opened the door. My smile grew as I saw the familiar lock of red hair from the couch in the living room.

I tried to approach her but after taking one step she turned and saw my presence. "Hi, love" I said with a wide grin. She usually smiles at the nickname I gave her but not even a slight form of happiness was evident in her face. It faltered my mood but maybe she'd just had a bad day.

I walked towards her so I could be close enough to give her the flowers. She took them but set them aside. "Happy 1 year" I was still smiling and she still had a blank face.

Then she said something "We need to talk." I was worried. She motioned for me to follow her and we headed towards the kitchen. I stood whilst she sat on the stool.

"I don't think this is working out" I wasn't expecting that.

"I- I don't feel the same towards you as i did the first few months we were together. I tried to force myself to love you again but it wouldn't work" I was shocked, this was supposed to be our special day. One year.

I didn't realize i was crying until I felt a part of my jeans dampening. "If you're thinking about it no, it wasn't your fault I'd even blame myself for it. I don't see why I don't love you anymore. You're a wonderful, kind person. You show great affection in the best ways."

not saying anything I put my hand in my pocket and took out a small box. No, I wasn't going to propose. It would've been too soon. It was a promise ring. I had one too, exact same except hers had my kind of woman engraved on the inside. It was our song. It played on the radio on our first date, the party where we had our first kiss, our first dance, it was the song I'd sing to her to make her blush then I'd tell her how much I love her.

after taking the ring out I placed it on the palm of her hand. "I wanted to give you this promise ring to promise you, I'll never leave your side. But it all seems stupid now." She gave me a slight sorrowful look

I sighed. "Now since it's over, all I'm gonna promise you is to respect your feelings and move on. No matter how hard it'll take me. I'll still love you. But I'm gonna accept that you won't love me back."

I smiled softly at her and stared at her eyes for a while, to remember how those were the eyes that would give me comfort and assurance.

Then I stood up and left. I felt her looking at me while I walked away. Getting into the car I let out small sobs and turned on the radio.. my, my, my, my kind of woman. i couldn't bring myself to change the channel and just kept that on while the ache in my heart grew. my, oh my, what a girl.

I knew I wouldn't get over her anytime soon. but i had to let her go