Chapter 14

The emails were still coming to Elton's inbox daily.

Three days ago:

You cost us a lot of money, Elton Castee.

Two days ago:

We know who you are.

Yesterday:

We will get them back.

Elton's arms were crossed, the stillness of his body belaying the panic that was slamming against his chest.

This was bad.

He had told the investigative team still on Sam and Colby's case about the emails after he had finished panicking the first time. Unfortunately, nothing had resulted. Searches of the warehouse and website domains had only lead them to more dead ends. He had been assured that they were trying their best, and that he would be notified if anything changed.

He hadn't told Sam and Colby about the emails yet. They didn't need anything else new to worry about. They had just been rescued a week ago, were still just working through the trauma that had been caused by these psychos. Were still working on... them.

He sighed, pressing his hands into his face. He shouldn't worry so much about it. Sam and Colby were big boys. And they looked happy, appeared to be healing. This... relationship... with Sam seemed to really be helping Colby heal. At least, it wasn't hurting. Elton wasn't sure how much of Colby's progress was because of Sam or time but he was doing... better. He didn't seem so sensitive to touch, seemed to lose himself in memories less, seemed... less raw.

And Sam looked to be genuinely happy being Colby's boyfriend. And surprisingly to Elton he was clearly not trying to hide it. He had been clear about their relationship when Elton had been over the other night for their gathering of friends.

"So... obviously this stays off social media," Sam had said firmly, even as he avoided everyone's eyes. "Colby and Kat and I have talked about it, and we're... we're doing the best we can." He looked at Colby, and Elton watched Colby smile faintly at him.

"This... we need this right now..." Sam said softly, looking up to meet everyone's eyes individually. "We'll keep you updated."

Elton had actually been impressed by everyone's reactions. Everyone had nodded, not outwardly questioned it, not said anything that would clue Sam and Colby into the fact that they were anything but okay with the new development.

In the group chat that had resulted that night, however...

Corey had been the one to make it, including everyone who had been present at the party, minus Colby, Sam, and Kat. "So uh... since when were Sam and Colby gay?" The message was quickly followed by a, "Not that there's anything wrong with that, we just didn't see it coming."

Jake responded first. "Okay, glad it wasn't just me. Where did that come from?"

Aaron. "Like I legit thought it was a prank until I saw them kiss."

Jake. "Same!"

Elton had felt like he needed to put a stop to this before it escalated, but he wasn't quite sure how to do that without compromising the knowledge he knew Colby would prefer kept a secret. So instead he had waited to see what else was written.

Devyn brought it up first. "But like, it's just a little weird that this came up after they got kidnapped."

"Truuuueee..." Came Jake's response.