Chapter 17

"Please don't, please, please..."

"You're okay, Colby, it's okay, it's Elton..."

Elton had forgotten how heartbreaking it was to see Colby like this. At almost a month post rescue Colby had been doing so well, grinning and laughing and back to mostly his normal self. At least, around Elton. He had forgotten how awful it was to watch the panic and trauma consume his little brother, watch the horrors that had happened to him come back to haunt him.

Colby woke up begging and crying twice that night. Elton knew why, naturally. He had seen what the guy had done to Colby. Had watched in muted horror and revulsion. Not that he was going to tell Colby that right at this moment. For Colby to have run into him again... Elton knew the panic was only natural.

It still didn't hurt him any less to see the aftermath of. Or to watch Colby's eyes desperately scan the room for someone- for Sam- and watch his whole body sag as he remembered.

Sam wasn't here. Sam was with Kat. Elton had told him to let Colby sleep, and to not come back. But as he sat on the end of the bed and tried to calm a panicking Colby for the second time -he couldn't touch Colby, touch made it worse- he started to wonder if that had been the wrong call.

Colby was still trembling, but he seemed to at least be back in the present. "I'm sorry, Elton," Colby whispered through a throat still tight from sobs. "You can, you can go, and like, get some actual sleep. You don't have to stay with me."

"I know," Elton nodded, "Can I touch you?" Colby nodded faintly, and Elton reached out, watching for Colby's reaction as he rested a hand on the guy's shoulder. He just looked so small, his whole body trying to curl in on itself to get away from his attacker, maybe disappear altogether... Colby just sighed, relaxing into the contact, and Elton's chest released just a little bit of tension. "I would feel bad to leave you alone tonight."

"I'm fine."

"Bullshit."

Colby groaned, grabbing a pillow and pushing it into his face. "I hate them so much," He whispered.

"Me too, dude, me too..."

"I wish Sam were here..."

It was almost unintelligible through the pillow, but Elton made it out just fine. He sighed, squeezing Colby's shoulder. "We can call him back," Elton offered.

Elton saw the hair behind the pillow move as Colby shook his head. "No..." He moved the pillow to look at Elton, bloodshot eyes peeking out over the folds of the pillow. "I don't want to bother him. He should..." His gaze fell to the twisted blankets in front of him, "He should have one night where he doesn't have to worry about me..."

"Colby..." Elton breathed, "Dude, I'm sure it's not like that. Sam loves you." Of that Elton was certain. He just wasn't sure where Colby fell next to Kat. "I told him that you were sleeping. He was going to come back."

Colby let out a heavy breath. "I guess..." He murmured.

Elton tugged on Colby's shoulder lightly, guiding Colby to lean against his side. Colby resisted at first, and Elton let up on the pressure. After a moment though, Colby seemed to reconsider, resting his temple against Elton's shoulder. Elton wrapped an arm around Colby's shoulders, thankfully not feeling a flinch from the younger guy.

Elton was worried. Elton hadn't pressed Colby for any information when they got home. Didn't exactly feel like the right time. It had been a moment since he had heard updates on Sam and Colby's relationship, and Elton was an older brother prone to worry. Judging by the friction today, things could be better.