Chapter 22

"Hey boys!"  Colby immediately recognized the voice that walked into Sam's room.

"Jackie!" Colby grinned widely, remembering the nurse from the last time he and Sam had been admitted into the unit.  "How are you?"

"I'm good," She said cheerily, "I'd ask how you two are doing but..."

"Well, we're here, if that tells you anything," Sam said dryly, glancing at Colby.  Colby squeezed his hand.

"Well, I definitely wish I were seeing you two under different circumstances," She said, but it still came across good-naturedly.  "At least only one of you is admitted this time?"

Colby shrugged, wincing at the pain that shot through his shoulder at the movement.  "No, I was admitted too, they just released me yesterday and I didn't want to leave Sam."

"That makes sense," She responded, logging into the computer at the bedside.

Two days had passed since Colby was rescued and he and Sam had been reunited.  Colby had been discharged yesterday with strict instructions on the care of his injured shoulder and his... other injuries.  Sam however, they had wanted to keep for further surveillance.  They had managed to get the gauze and bandages organized a little bit more so that Sam didn't look as much like a mummy.  Now it was just the knee they were watching.  There was nothing more they could do for his arms except wait for them to heal.

"I heard your friend down the hall has been a favorite of the unit," Jackie commented, grinning at the two of them, "You want your pain meds, Sam?"

"Please," Sam groaned.  The team had eased off on the sedative for Elton yesterday, and Colby had been in the room with Elton when their friend had finally come to.

"Colby?"

A rush of relief blew through him.  Elton's nurse, Colby couldn't remember his name (John?  Tom?) had said that they were easing off the sedatives they had been using on Elton while they waited for the worst of the damage to his stomach to heal.  Sam had sent him to Elton's room so that Elton wouldn't wake up alone.  Thankfully, Colby had been discharged officially that morning so he could go where he pleased, even if his parents begged him to please take it easy.

Wasn't like Colby was going to leave his boyfriend and pseudo-older brother anyway. 

Colby turned from the TV to see Elton squinting at him from the hospital bed.  "Hey Uncle Elton," He said, a smile stretching his cheeks because Elton was awake.  It had been too wrong, too weird to see Elton's normally insufferably energetic self so still.

"Colby, what the fuck are you doing in my room?" Elton mumbled, still squinting at him in confusion.

"We're not in your room, Elton," Colby said easily, creeping a little closer to Elton's.  "D'you remember what happened?"

Elton blinked at him, shifting slightly.  A look of pain passed over his face, and he lifted a hand to touch the hospital grown across his chest.  "You... Oh fuck..." A panicked look passed over his face, fighting off the effects of the sedatives.  "I got shot.  They were gonna take you and Sam..."

Colby glanced up at the vitals monitor hooked up to Elton, watching his blood pressure and heart rate rise.  "Elton, hey, it's okay.  Me and Sam are safe, okay, we're okay.  Sam's just down the hall."

Elton's eyes widened incredulously.  "Uh... how?  What the fuck happened?" He shifted again, trying to sit up, grunting in pain and pressing a hand against his stomach.

"Elton, take it easy, dude," Colby stood, pressing a hand against Elton's chest, urging his friend to lay back down, "You lost like, a lot of blood.  You've been sedated for like four days."