19

•••

•••

I sigh in defeat as I crumple up yet another piece of paper, tossing it into the recycling bin. The rain taps at the window, the only light illuminating the living room being the lamp beside me. I drop my pencil from my hand and lean back into the chair as my eyes wander around Sebastian's house. We had come home to live at Sebastian's house, now, and I couldn't sleep, so I decided to continue writing my book, but I have severe writers block. I hear the stairs creek and close my eyes, knowing it's Sebastian.

I hear his feet drag along the wooden floor and soon enough I feel his arms wrap around me from behind the chair. "Still stumped?", he asks me. I nod my head and drop my head in my hands. "I think I've thrown every paper you gave me to use. I just don't know why I can't continue writing", I say as I flick through the pages that I did write. "Italia, you have to stop being so hard on yourself. Trust me, it'll come to you and then I won't be able to stop you from writing. Every great writer has had writers block before", he says as he kisses my cheek. I sigh and nod my head. "I guess you're right. Did I wake you?", I ask him as I turn around in my chair. "No, I had to go to the bathroom and saw the light downstairs. Come, let's go back to bed", he says as he hoists me up and shuts the lamp off. We walk upstairs and I sigh in relief as I pull the fluffy blankets over us.

"Do you ever wonder what would have happened had I not taken that plane to New York?", I say suddenly as I stare at the ceiling. "Sometimes. I almost didn't text you that night, you know", he says as he turns to look at me and I do the same. "Really? Why not?". He shrugs his shoulders and moves a few strands of hair out of my face. "It had been a few months since we last saw each other at the airport and I felt like it would have weirded you out if I texted you out of the blue", he says. I shake my head no. "No way! I'm so happy you texted me that night. It was like a sign. You saved my life", I say as I grab his hand. "No, you did that yourself. You found the strength to put your foot down and leave an abusive relationship. I only texted you", he says. "You're stronger than you think", he adds. "Well, I wouldn't change anything that happened, because it led me right here, with you", I whisper as I snuggle into his chest. "You're stuck with me forever", he laughs. "Oh no, really?", I gasp as I see him smile through the dark. "Yes really"

"Well good, because you're stuck with me forever, too", I say as I kiss the tip of his nose. "Let's get some rest, okay?", I say. He hums and I close my eyes as he pulls me closer to him. I feel him kiss the top of my head and I smile. I was the happiest I have ever been.

***

In the morning, Sebastian and I go out for breakfast and then he brings me to a small park near his house. "I was thinking maybe, if you're okay with it, we could look at houses", he says. I lower my ice cream cone and stare at him. "For real?", I ask. He laughs and nods his head, wiping the side of my mouth. "Yes, for real. It doesn't feel right to have you live in my house and not be able to call it your home, too", he says. I furrow my eyebrows and hesitate as I grab his hand. "I get your point, I do, but I don't want you to feel obliged to do this because you want me to feel more at home. You love your house"

"I do love it, but it's time for change and now that you're in my life, it seems like a good enough time to change a few things", he smiles. I nod my head and hand him my ice cream. "Change a few things? What else do you want to change?", I ask him as he eats my ice cream. "You'll see", he mumbles. I hum and give him a look as I hand him some napkins. "I can't take you anywhere", I laugh as I wipe his mouth. We spend the majority of the day outside and then go back home, where Sebastian and I decide to have a barbeque for supper. I set the table for us outside while Sebastian prepares the barbeque. "Do you want lemonade or iced tea?", I ask him as I slide the glass door open. "Are both an option?", he smiles. I shake my head and go inside to grab the pitchers from the fridge, bringing them one at a time on the table.

"Hey, I was thinking that maybe you could meet Chris this week...he's in town and I haven't seen him in almost a year", he says as he flips the hamburgers and hot dogs. "I'd love to! Have him come over for supper. I can cook something", I smile as I sit down. "Perfect...I'll let him know". He sets down the platter of food and shuts off the barbeque, coming and sit down in front of me. "So, I was doing some searching and I found some houses that are on the market. Here are a few that I found", he says as he shows me his laptop. I laugh at his eagerness and look at the houses he found. "Most of these houses are having a viewing within the next two weeks, we can check them out", I say as I scroll through his findings. "Is there anything specific that you want in the house?", he asks me. I nod my head. "A big backyard with a pool, a big kitchen and an adequate amount of rooms with sufficient space and storage", I say. "Modern?"

"Not entirely. I don't want anything too modern because that's just bland and boring. A little bit of a rustic look, maybe. But it all depends on what you want, too", I say as I look at him. "I don't mind, honestly. What I really want is an at-home theater where we can sit comfortably and watch movies or shows on a big screen. Ever since I was a kid, I always dreamed about having my own room to watch movies", he says as I hand the laptop back to him. "I love that! Imagine all of the cozy nights we can have together, especially during the winter and Christmas", I smile, exciting myself. "Then there we have it! We know what we want so now it's just a matter of finding the right house"

"I can't believe we're buying a house together and we haven't even been together for a year!", I say in awe. Every relationship was different, and I always hated when people spoke about some relationships moving too fast. When you know, you know, it doesn't matter how long or how very brief you've been with the person, and with Sebastian I just know in my gut he's the one.

"I can't believe it either, but I'm happy and all I ever want is for you to be happy, too", he says as he leans in. I lean in and we share a kiss. This moment right here couldn't get any better.