Chapter 2

„A sinistra", the dominant voice commanded in between two shallow breaths. He didn't even have a second to progress this information, when the fist of his opponent hit him hard on his left side, directly on the ribs of his thorax.

Even before he managed to perceive the pain, he reached the jaw of the older one with the knuckles of his fist.

Matteo Este spat blood on the training rooms grey laminate, when the voice boomed „rapido!" in a fast, excited way.

Matteo was an adversary Lorenzo considered as evenly matched. His older cousin was big and of bulky stature. His fighting style was aggressive and ponderous, but nevertheless his clouts were of an undeniable strength, that already threw one or another tooth to daylight.

At first sight, there was no resemblance visible, even if they were related. Lorenzo Este was younger with his 27 years, but his face looked more serious and there weren't any childlike features visible. In contrast to the blonde hair of his opponent, his hair was raven. His eyes eventually showed his south European background, as they were of a warm brown colour. Beneath the white fabric of his shirt there were toned muscles and the dark ink of some tattoos hidden.

Right before Matteo was capable to focus on Lorenzo again, the younger one managed to make his cousin stumble by shoving him with his elbow followed by continuous punches. He didn't give him the time to react appropriately. Matteo groaned of exhaustion as he tried to use his whole-body strength for retaliation as an attempt to avert a defeat.

„Preferibile!"

Lorenzo recognised the cracking sound of his nose, as Matteos wallop brushed his face. Just for the duration of a few heart beats, his masculine face showed an expression of agony, before he was able to shove his cousin to the ground with a powerful kick against his thigh.

The one with the clearly superior body height moaned, as he hit the mat with a thump. The whole exchange of blows didn't take more than a few seconds.

Lorenzo couldn't suppress a slight grin, when he whipped the blood away with the white sleeve of his shirt. For sure Matteo had seen his triumphal expression but he replied with a cheekily, self-confident grin himself and took the offered hand of his cousin to let Lorenzo lift him up.

"Your still advancing, Enzo. Soon I'll have to worry, about borrowing your car without permission".

Lorenzo contracted his amber eyes and threw a gentle punch against his cousin's shoulder. „I would definitely worry if I were you, pal. If I ever were to catch your fingers around my steering wheel, I will cut them off, one by one, amico."

Matteo answered with a deep laugh that overcame his whole chest.

„Good work", the harsh, melodically voice interfered in a heavy accent and Lorenzo directly stared in the wrinkled face of Oliviero Marenzi. „ Next time you have to be quicker, Matteo!". As usual his uncle was a lot more critical with his own son. Although Oliviero, who was only known as Il cane in some quarters, was of an analytical and ambitious character. Qualities that Lorenzo valued about his uncle. In contrast to Matteo, who was of a hot-tempered and typical Italian temper, he was rather calm and reserved. Naturally, that didn't affect his arrogant behaviour that was reflected by his whole posture.

Not necessarily a glorified self-image let himself be persuaded of this unshakable believe in his own skills but his whole education. One was not born as Lorenzo Este for throwing oneself into the dirt in front of others.

„Lorenzo, your guard was male. Your speed is useless if you're too incompetent to evade." He  had been undeniably mistaken; today the ill humour of his uncle was directed at him in the same way as at Matteo. He only grumbled in acceptance.

Usually, Enzo never was pressed for an answer, but his respect for Oliviero made an inappropriate answer impossible. When Lorenzo's mother died, his uncle moved back to the family to take care of his brother's two sons. Therefore, Salvatore Este was still able to focus on the family business. This family business consisted mainly of the organisation of a worldwide drug trade, in which they had a stake in the market for heroin and amphetamine, and arms trade of all kind.

For this reason, Lorenzo had a talent for armed conflicts but was unmistakably bad in diplomacy and bureaucracy. He had nothing to do with the lucrative part of the family business. Under the dictatorship of his uncle, he and Matteo were responsible for the executive tasks of the family. That may sound a lot more difficult than it actually was, as they had to operate under the critical view of the legal system of America.

„Io Intendo", he instead answered in a calm voice and followed his cousin to the showers.

After he washed the blood and sweat off of his defined body, a glance on the clock told him that it already was 8:30. Matteo had anteriorly left the common bathroom and after he finally found a grey suit that fitted his lean body perfectly, he followed him into the garage of the family mansion. After he detected that his cousin's jeep had already disappeared, Lorenzo turned his black Chevrolet Camaro on the busy roads of North Carolinas capital Raleigh.

He was in a rather bad mood, as the additional minutes he had to spent in setting his nose threatened his whim. Therefore, he decided that a coffee had to be enough for today's breakfast. And even, if the expensive liquid served in a plastic cup had nothing in common with real Italian coffee, he came to the decision to make a short stop at Starbucks, as he did most mornings in various towns, his unmoral work led him to.

This was where a cold-mans seemingly unshakable heart warmed up for a short, almost unrecognisable, but infinitely lasting moment.