XLII

| Press, Splat |

"Maybe it was his way of saving us

"Maybe it was his way of saving us. At least that's what we liked to think."
__

The nine boys jumped out of the bus one by one, only Seungkwan and Jeonghan said thank you to the bus driver on their way out.

It looked like it had rained in this side of town.  It was gloomy with its pale clouded skies and its dry stringy yellow grass. All their shoes were soaking wet from the grey puddle they stepped in.

Joshua looked down at his phone, that had the map screen displayed. The gps clearly showing that they were at their destination.

The boys looked around the area. It was the end of the street. The dead end where they found themselves, was in front of a tall chain linked fence, with a broken opening. Along the street though there were many large houses.

Clearly the area was filled with wealthy people. Their front gardens were loud in that way. Nicely cut grass, tall statues of random gods and naked women hidden in leafy vines. Stones carved to be pleasing to the eyes, with leaking fountains.

"His house. It must be one of these right?" Soonyoung mumbled shyly. He leaned into Jihoon's side and grabbed his sleeve.

"It's not." Joshua said. He looked at his phone. "It can't be. It says here that his house is unit 17.  The last houses on the street are 16 on that side and 18 on the other."

Joshua turned around and pointed at the fences broken opening. "His has to be in the middle."

"But. It's..." the boys all turned around and looked forward past the fence. The space beyond the fence was blinded with tall dark wood trees. You couldn't look farther past the thickness, all you could see was dark space, the leaves completely blocking off any light shinning down.

"Maybe if we walk down we'll find it. It's a nice neighbourhood I'm sure it'll be fine." Jihoon said. He adjusted his bag on his shoulders and walked forward to the loose gate.

"Or maybe we just quit this stupid idea and go home." Seungcheol said, he pulled out a cigarette from his pocket and patted the area to see whether this would be his last. He came to the realization it would be when his face sulked and he put the drug in his mouth and lit it.

"Hey, no. We already got here, turning back would make us look like a bunch of losers, we have to go." Soonyoung pressed. He moved forward to where Jihoon was standing at the gate. "Come on. There's a little dirt path here."

"Losers." Seungcheol grumbled under his breath, as he followed the rest of the boys moving forward past the fence. "As if there's anyone else but us to think that."

And it was true. There was no one left but them, if they decided to turn back and act like none of this happened then it would be so. They wouldn't have to go into the woods. Into the dark. Into a territory they were not welcomed.