XXXIX

|Crimson Puddle|

"What about that boy

"What about that boy. Seungkwan?"

"He got what was coming to him."
__

- T O D A Y -

Vernon tilted his head. A small smile slowly formed. His lips thinly stuck together, the lines of his grin ingrained his cheeks.

He opened his arms. He accepted an embraced from the feeble thing standing in front of him. His eyes bleak and black. The image of the thing red and gooey like a blood clot smushed on the floor.

"Vernon." The thing said. Vernon felt the thing touch him, press it's bloody slimy body against his.

Vernon furrowed his brows. Huh?

Vernon placed his hands on the thing. His fingers seeped into the deep gooey flesh. His hands soaked with its bloody slick.

He pulled his hands away and he looked at his fingers covered in filth. Disgusting.

"Vernon?" The thing called out.

Vernon looked up from his hands and at the thing again. It was gone. Vernon closed his eyes again and everything was black and pitiful.

-

"Vernon."

"Vernon..."

"Vernon!"

Vernon's eyes shot open. His eyes glued to a blank white ceiling. A ceiling with no shape. No shade. No design. Not a swirl or a dotted pattern. Just a blank white ceiling.

Vernon stared at the ceiling for a moment then he put his hands to his eyes and he cowered behind his pale palms.

No. Not here. Not again. Vernon dug his fingers into the edge of his eyes sockets. I don't like this place. I don't like these people. Not again. Not—

"Vernon?"

Vernon's fingers softened. He let his fingers drag down the side of his face. His eyes wide and shaking.

"Vernon, you're awake!"

Vernon's ears rung. The voice he heard. The sound of its gentleness. It kissed the curve of his ear and softened the whole colour of the white ceiling into a milky creamy beige.

Vernon lifted himself up and into a sitting position. He let his back lean against the bed frame. He turned his head and the smell of medicine and chemical fumes filled his nostrils.

He knew where he was. But he also knew that it was not the same place as the last.

His eyes now rested on the face in front of him. It was him. The thing that seemed so filthy before. Clean and pure. Almost beautifully perfect.