chapter six

- Genevieve -

Fuck me.

Being late is the worst feeling in the world especially when your Professor offered you an internship opportunity the class before. Rushing into Professor Li's room, I make it in slipping to the back of the class.

Without even turning around he singles me out, "Ms. Laurence, are we running late today?"

"Sorry," I reply sheepishly.

He turns around and looks at me, "It's alright. I'd like you to stay after class so we can discuss something."

English major with a minor in journalism was a great idea.

Class flies by at a snail's pace and suddenly I'm next to Professor Li who's trying to work FaceTime on the computer but keeps pressing the wrong button.

I lean over and click the enter button which makes a middle-aged brunette appear, "Here you go, Sir."

"Ms. Dalton, I have Genevieve Laurence with me, she's being shortlisted in my class to obtain the internship we offer and she'd like to pick your brain."

"Good afternoon Ms. Laurence, let's set up a time to discuss a more in-depth process for you to join our company." We set up a time to talk later on.

"Genevieve, I know you're only a sophomore, but have you given any thought to what you'll do after college? Which field of work are you leaning towards?"

"Publishing, I'd like to pursue a two-year master's in journalism," I tell him.

"That sounds like a fine plan, if anyone can be successful in that field it's you." I grab my books and head out when Nellie texts me saying there's a rumor being passed around campus.

Since classes are over for the day, I stop to listen to Jazz by the riverwalk for a little. The local amateurs are full of potential and they're all so sweet to me.

"Gigi, how are you, today sweetheart?" Marvin is a local jazz player who plays at the bar down the street but likes to get new people to hear him so he tries to drum up new business every once in a while. I've known him since I was twelve when my family spent a day in the city. Since then, he's spent every thanksgiving with us.

"Hey Marvin, I'm good, how's the hand?" He had surgery for a broken finger a couple of weeks ago and since then I've checked in on him each day.

"It's all good, Doc says it's healing up nicely. You heard any newcomers on the block recently?" One thing I love about everyone who plays is that they hype each other up and send people their way.

"Not really, besides you and Larry I don't hear much of anyone," I tell him.

"There's a new kid, names Louis, he's pretty good, a bit sharp on his C's but good kid, lots of potentials." It's time for my shift at the bookstore in twenty so I say my goodbyes and walk to the small store on Ontario Street.

"Gigi, we need to restock these books since they've been taken out and I need you to restamp the barcodes on this list of books," Edna, my boss, and the meanest old lady ever stack a giant file of papers on me and leaves.

I would never insult my elders unless they were rude old hags, which she is. And besides, I'm not a huge believer in elders are always right and we should always respect them just because of age. I'll show her respect until she shows me disrespect.

"Got it, Ms. Putnam," I flash a fake smile.

Before I even know it, it's close to mid-afternoon so I finish my walk back home.