chapter seven

- Adrian -

"Get changed and on the court boys. We've got drills and testing before practice to finalize the rankings for this year," Coach announces before going back into his outfit.

"Did they really kick you out of the Phi Delta Tau Parade?" I hear Devontae talking with Luke behind me while they change.

"Not exactly, the Stetson brother's suspended me from other events because I didn't log enough hours at the tailgates or pool parties. Which is bullshit by the way because I pay for like half the booze in that house."

"Oh- I forgot to tell you I went with JJ to pick up that Mazda that was for sale. The one I saw on eBay."

"The red one? Are you sure it's not a lost cause?" I ask. It's a beat-up tin can with chipped paint and a semi-running engine.

"I don't know yet. JJ's gonna help me fix it up this weekend it's at the shop in shitty condition but it's got potential." Devontae can fix anything. "I mean it'll probably be easier than the dryer."

Last year when Luke tried to do laundry for the first time he broke the dryer. Devontae fixed it up so we didn't have to buy a new one.

Luke looks at him offended, "It only happened because I didn't know which one was the washer and in my defense, I helped fix it."

"You paid me to fix it and how'd you not know it was the wrong machine when there was no water in the dryer?" Devontae snickers.

Before he can even reply, Coach walks back in, "Let's go guys I don't wanna spend an extra minute then I have to with you."

"Love you too Coach," instead of scowling he smiles shaking his head at Luke's words.

___________

"Yo, have you see her ass?" I hear two voices behind me in the gym. I turn around and see Albert Bergstein and Carson Avery.

"Who are we talking about?" Carson asks, wrapping a towel around his neck.

"The one from the other night," he replies.

"That girl you saw at Presley's? She's out of your league and you shouldn't be talking about her ass, you asshole" he replies. At least the kids respectful. 

"What was her name again? It was French. Started with a G or something." Fuck.

"Who the fuck are you talking about?" I ask. They whip their heads around as I tower over them.

"Why do you care?" Bergstein asks.

"Who are you talking about?" I repeat. Cole looks at me like he knows how completely pissed off I am right now.

"Some slut I saw at Presley's the other day, what's it to you?" Without even thinking my fist lands on his face and he stumbles back into the lockers, the door shutting.

"What the fuck man, she was just some random bimbo," he yells holding his bleeding jaw. Before I can land another one JJ and Devontae are holding me back while Luke stands guard to see if Coach saw or heard anything.

"Your mother never taught you to respect women? Fuck you. Don't ever think of her or say her name again." Cole ushers him out of the room while the rest of the guys stare at us. Even Carson Avery. The kid's a lot like me but poor guy, he's only a sophomore and he looked confused as fuck by what just happened.

"We gotta ice your hand or else it'll get swollen," JJ says telling Carson to grab me a bag.

"You gotta protect your knuckles dumbass. Thumb over your knuckles next time," Devontae advises. Because we all know there will be the next time.

Shit. Everyone on campus by now probably knows what just happened since nearly half the guys on the team just saw me punch the shit out of Albert.

Genevieve is going to be pissed.

___________

I knock on her door prepared for a grimace countenance of vexation and pique and to no surprise that's exactly what's shown when the girl behind the white door opens up.

And the first words out of her mouth are, "Why'd you hit someone?" So we're getting right to the point.

I smile at her adorable pout, "Word travels fast around here."

I could have fun with this. Her irritation is fueling my quick quips, "You're not actually mad, you're probably even flattered."

Her eyes glaze over my face unamused but a glimmer of humor shines over until she exasperates, "I'm sorry I don't speak bullshit. Could you repeat that for me please?" Ouch.

"Cherry, you wouldn't be interested in any of those losers and I punched the guy for insulting you," he shrugs my response off as if it doesn't mean anything

"His name's Albert Bergstein, names a mouthful isn't it?" I smirk at her expression.

"I would say poor kid but he was acting like an ass. Called you a few select names, told me a few things, and after all of that I just don't understand why he'd tempt fate especially with a name like that."

"So you just threatened every other guy on campus?" She looks almost grateful but still overly irritated.

"Of course not, I'm not a creeper Laurence. Word spread around after the kid started gushing blood all over the floor and people are just not interested in the trouble you bring," I say. I definitely have the upper hand here.

"And what if I just went to a different school and hooked up with one of those guys?" My jaw almost drops before I remember one tiny detail.

"You aren't the hook-up type of girl," she should really stop telling people things.

"I made it through my freshman year without wanting a guy, I'll make it through the next few years too," she gestures me out and holds the door looking up at me.

"I don't need you to defend me."

"Needs trump wants, Babydoll. I'm sexy, respectful, God knew what he was going when he made me," I lean against the door.

"You're also an egotistical, hot-tempered ass. Goodbye Castillo." Door in my face, wind passing through the stairwell, that was a hot encounter.

Maybe it's all the pent-up rage I've compiled over this past weekend from my dad or maybe I have anger issues but if someone were to affect Genevieve's reputation in a negative way I'd be there for her in a heartbeat.