chapter thirteen

I'm back with THE most gut-wrenching chapter so far.

TW: Mentions of rape, abuse, and more. Please read with discretion.

- Genevieve -

I finished class late Saturday afternoon walking just above the river. Marvin is playing old school songs on the sax, hooked up to a speaker so the whole area can hear him.

He finishes up his set and immediately spots me. "Gigi, it's been a while."

"Fingers all healed?" I ask, remembering his injury from the last time I saw him.

"Hurt like a bitch, all fixed up now. The last appointment was at your ma's place with one of her Docs."

"I didn't know your physician worked under Mom. Did you see her there?"

"Yup, she told me your brothers are coming into town. The entire family." Right then I get a group chat text with my family.

"You should come to dinner next week, everyone would love to see you." I bid my goodbye's walking to work.

"Nice, show up in the worst clothing possible for what I have for you today," she snickers as I walk in.

"Good afternoon to you too Edna. How's it going?"

"You'll be on your knees today. Dusting the bottom shelves and staining them this brown color. I'll pay you overtime if you get it done today."

"Sorry Eds, I got a hot date tonight." She immediately looks intrigued.

"The tall drink of water from a few days ago I presume."

"Yes ma'am." I spend the rest of my shift staining the bookcases while she grills me about Adrian.

"And you're sure he's the one?"

"Not at all, but it's only a first date."

"Sweetheart, in my day if you weren't at least eighty percent sure, you wouldn't waste a first date on some random little shit."

"Thanks for the advice, but he's got loads of potential. So I'll take the risk." Almost looking proud, she tells me to leave early so I have more time for my date.

___________

By the time I get home, it's a lot closer to eight than I would've hoped. I begin by ripping apart my closet for an outfit to wear.

"Wear something formal Cherry." Couldn't have been more specific?

Mads shows up sometime later and helps calm me down. "It's your first real date since him, and this time you've learned from the past. Let's get you ready, okay?"

I nod and pick out a short light pink satin dress. It has spaghetti straps and drawstrings on the waist.

Madison helps me straighten my hair and picks out diamond studs for my doubles and a light pink diamond drop earring for my firsts.

I step into closed white heels with a rectangle heel and work on my makeup when the doorbell rings. "I'll keep him waiting." It reminds me of when I used to do it for her almost every week during Freshman year.

"And if the date runs past midnight, text me please," she reminds me.

- Adrian -

Working my shit up I find the courage to knock on her door. Madison appears and leads me to the couch saying she'll be out in a few minutes.

"You got her flowers, that's sweet." I'm wearing the nicest pants I have with a black polo shirt.