An Unusual Woman

As Clopin performed his puppet show for the children in front of Notre Dame he couldn't help but think of the woman he met the previous day. The woman for no other reason than kindness had stepped in to save him. A stranger and a gypsy at that. 

Her actions saving him were unusual enough but Clopin had found himself momentarily speechless after she asked to see him again. Most outsiders, or gadjo's, as the gypsy's refered to them, wouldn't dream of wanting to see a gypsy again. Especially given the danger associating with the caused. Even the less prejudiced members of Paris avoided them for fear of getting caught up in the persecution.

Clopin found himself hoping that she would show up. He must have lost his place as he was thinking because one of the children spoke up saying,

"Clopin! You already said that bit!" Clopin quickly recovered pulling out the little puppet of himself.

"That is because my little friend here was distracting me. Weren't you?" He asked the puppet.

"No I wasn't grosse nez! That was you!" squeeked the puppet.

"Oh really? Then why did I get distracted hmm? Now hush so I can finish the story." He said taking a stick and hitting the puppet on the head with it. The puppet let out a small,

"Dang" causing the children to errupt into giggles. As he put the puppet away and began to continue the story, among the childish giggles, was a light laugh much like the chimming of bells. He looked up to see that the very person who had distracted him was now in the audience.

Madeleine Clement with a red cloak around her shoulders had knelt down on the pavement next to the children watching the performance with a small smile. A smile that broadened slightly when he caught her eye.

Clopin finished his performance and collected the few coins the children's parents had deigned to allow them to give him. Once the children scattered he turned to see the young blond she couldn't be more than 21. 

"Mademoiselle Clement! A pleasure to see you," he said kissing the back of her hand.

"The same to you Monsieur Trouillefou," Mademoiselle Clement replied with a smile. 

"Please Mademoiselle call me Clopin. Monsieur Trouillefou is far too formal and old." This made the woman laugh again. Oh how beautiful a laugh it was.

"Very well."

"So, what brings you to our fair city?" asked Clopin as they leaned against the puppet caravan.

"I suppose I was getting restless in Lorraine, my village, so my parents allowed me to travel up here to stay with my brother Henri."

Henri Clement. The name rang a bell in Clopin's mind and he realized Henri was the tinker that lived near the outskirts of Paris. He had shown kindness to the gypsies giving them money occasionally and even helping a few of them avoid the guards. Clopin had never spoken to him but it was no wonder Madeleine should be related to Henri. He smiled.

"I see, and what do you think of Paris so far?"

"I love the excitment and the beauty" she bit her lip slightly, "But I'm not as fond of the prejudice. I've never seen it so prevalent. You weren't exaggerating yesterday."

"I never exaggerate about the plight of my people," said Clopin seriously. The blond nodded.

"I suppose I just hoped it wasn't true. Prejudice wasn't absent in Lorraine but it was nowhere near as vehement.  Just now the Baker warmed me to avoid you." Clopin raised a dark eyebrow at her.

"And you didn't listen." 

"No I..." The clopping of heave hooves cut off the young lady's words. Clopin immediately was on alert. He knew that sound. Quickly he grabbed her hand a pulled her around behind the caravan. She appeared startled but remained quiet.