Kindness and Danger

Quasimodo looked out over the city. Thinking of his time with Esmerelda.

*flashback*

"Maybe Frollo's wrong about both of us." 

"That like what Madeleine told me," he said. Esmerelda laughed.

"That sounds like her. My cousin chose his queen well. You would be wise to listen to her."

*End of Flashback*

Could Esmerelda and Madeleine be right? Suddenly out on the rooftops he saw two familiar figures dancing. It was Madeleine and Clopin. He sighed and began to sing softly to himself.

So many times out here
I've watched a happy pair of lovers walking in the night
They had a kind of glow around them
It almost looked like heaven's light

I knew I'd never know that warm and loving glow
Though I might wish with all my might
No face as hideous as my face
Was ever meant for heaven's light

He wasn't sure who was right. His Master, or the two women who had shown him such kindness earlier. Still conflicted he saw Madeleine and Clopin disappear into the night.

HoND

Carefully Madeleine and Clopin made their way back through the streets still holding hands suddenly Clopin heard the sound of a boot crushing a twig. He froze and by the way Madeleine stiffened he knew she had heard it too. Surprisingly no cry of pursuit rang out. 

"You know, it's impolite to follow people without their consent," he quipped as the two of them slowly turned round to find a very awkward looking Captain Phoebus.

"Good grief has Frollo made it a crime to take a walk now?" said Madeleine and Clopin was pleased to see the surprise on the Captain's face as she removed her hood, revealing her golden blond hair and blue eyes. The opposite of a gypsy's complexion.

"I wouldn't be surprised. We could accept a birthday present and Frollo would say we stole it. Come on what's the trumped up charge this time?" Clopin said derisively. The Captain looked confused and Clopin noted he had still made no move of aggression.

"I'm not going to arrest you. Why would I?" It was Madeleine Clopin's turn to be surprised.

"Most guards would not need a reason at least in regards to myself," Clopin told him.

"I mean Frollo seems to hate you all but I don't see why you should be arrested if you aren't doing anything illegal," said Phoebus.

"An honorable guard. What an oddity," commented Madeleine looking thoughtful.

"Then why were you following us?" asked Clopin shrewdly immediately on his guard.

"It's about that gypsy girl, Esmerelda. I told her to take sanctuary in Notre Dame but she's escaped and I just wanted to know if she made it safely back to her people." 

"Why would you care?" asked Madeleine in a curious tone. The Captain shrugged.

"She did what nobody else, including myself, had the courage to do." Clopin exchanged a glance with Madeleine who gave him an encouraging look. Clopin sighed.

"Yes, Captain, she made it back safely." A look of relief crossed Phoebus's face.

"Well then, I'll bid you goodnight. Mind you I'd be extra careful. Frollo is not at all happy about her escape." He turned to depart but paused as Madeleine spoke.

"If you stick by what you say regarding doing what's right then you may just turn out to be the best Captain of the guard this city has seen in a long time."

"I'll do my best." Once he was out of sight Madeleine and Clopin continued to head back towards Madeleine's house.

"He reminds me of me when I first met you. I was so idealistic." Clopin chuckled. 

"You still are somewhat mon coeur. But I'm not sure how much of a difference one Captain can make."

"We'll just have to see," said Madeleine as they reached the path that would lead her to her house.

"If Frollo is out for blood you're safer if I leave you here. We'll have to go underground for now. If things look deadly I want you to bring your brother to the Court to hide with us. The same goes for Byron, the Miller's family, and anyone else in the group. 

"Alright." Clopin could see the worry in Madeleine's eyes. He pulled her into his arms and kissed her. 

"Stay safe, won't you?" whispered Madeleine.

"I promise," said Clopin. They held hands for a moment more before finally turning to go their separate ways.

HoND

Things did NOT calm down after a few days as Madeleine had hoped. Something about Esmerelda seemed to have infuriated Frollo more than usual and he was even more ferocious in his raids for the gypsies. 

Madeleine and Henri had little choice but to stay in their house to wait out the storm. Smoke filled the sky as Paris began to burn. 

"Do you think we should try and make for the Court?" Madeleine asked Henri one day.

"I don't know. I think it might be too big of a risk to the Court. What if someone follows us?" 

"I'm so worried for everyone in Paris at this point. There have been more executions in the last week then there were in the past six months!" said Madeleine wringing her hands nervously.

"There's no doubt Frollo has gone insane," agreed Henri. Madeleine went upstairs to grab some sewing that she had left in Henri's room on accident. Looking out the window she had to stop herself from screaming she could see a brigade of guards carrying torches at the head of the crowd was Frollo heading their way.

Racing downstairs Madeleine rushed to Henri. 

"We have to go Frollo is coming!" she said urgently. Henri stood up and looked out the window.

"They're nearly here. Grab your cloak and make for the woods behind the house then when you are sure it's safe head for the Court!"

"What about you?" asked Madeleine as she pulled on her cloak and gloves.

"I can't run I'll only slow you down and get caught," said Henri. "I'll distract them."

"What! No!" exclaimed Madeleine in terror. 

"There is no time to argue!" ordered Henri. "I love you too much to let you die, now GO!" He hugged her before pushing her towards the door. Tears in her eyes Madeleine went out the back heading for the cover of the trees.

Author's Note: Dun dun dunn!!!! Thanks to all my readers. If you like this story please share your thoughts in the comments. It's a little thing but it means alot! Until next week! (Apologies for the late post I had a busy weekend)