The Festival

It was a sunny day and the main square of Paris was an explosion of color. Streamers hung from poles and wooden stages had been erected for the performances. 

Madeleine looked around in awe. Nothing in her small village had ever occurred like this. In the middle of the preparations she saw Clopin giving directions. He had several bells hanging off the cloth of his jester's outfit which was a patchwork of purple and gold. She walked up to him.

"Bonjour Clopin," she said cheerfully. He turned to smile at her.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle Clement. Excited for the festival?" Madeleine grinned. 

"It looks spectacular!"

"I should hope so," a look of insecurity crossed Clopin's face. It's the first time I've done it without my father." Madeleine's smile softened. 

"You'll do him proud, I know it." Clopin offered her a small smile.

"Thank you." Madeleine was about to reply when a shout from behind them rang out. Madeleine turned to see a guard approach.

"You! Gypsy scum! Why are you bothering this young woman!?" Clopin raised an eyebrow,

"One would think you'd at least have the brains to come up with a more original insult." Madeleine groaned internally but quickly stepped between the two men.

"He's done nothing to bother me. I was simply inquiring about the festival, so leave him alone!" her tone was sharp and she glared at the guard who despite being a head taller than her quailed slightly. He huffed.

"Just trying to do my duty."

"Your duty is to protect the people who reside inside Paris NOT harass innocents!" snapped Madeleine. The guard shot a final glare at Clopin and stalked away.

"Must you antagonize them?" Madeleine asked Clopin with a sigh. Clopins shrugged.

"They'd arrest me either way."

"True," muttered Madeleine grudgingly. 

"It looks like I once again owe you for preventing my arrest," Clopin told her but Madeleine shook her head.

"You owe me nothing. Common decency shouldn't have a price."

Clopin reached forward and kissed the back of her hand.

"Until the festival then," Madeleine grinned.

"Until then."

HoND

A little while later Madeleine and Henri made their way through the crowds. They had to be careful due to Henri's leg. "Slow down Little Leine! The parade isn't going to disappear." Madeleine huffed slightly at the diminutive nickname.

"I'm sorry, I just want to get a good view." Henri chuckled.

"Fair enough." The pair found a small wall which Henri leaned against. Madeleine hopped up on top of it to see over the crowd of drunken revelers.

"Oh look! It's the grim reaper," commented Henri dryly as he pointed to where Frollo had just exited his carriage. 

"He looks unhappy," said Madeleine studying Frollo's face which was twisted in disgust. Henri snorted.

"I couldn't tell the difference. He always looks like he smells horse dung." Madeleine laughed at her brother's jest.

"Truer words were never spoken." Suddenly chanting began and a parade of people in black robes began moving through the crowd.

Come one, come all!
Leave your loops and milking stools
Coop the hens and pen the mules
Come one, come all!
Close the churches and the schools
It's the day for breaking rules
Come and join the Feast of...

Fools!

Clopin came sliding out from between the robed figures and burst into a jaunty tune.

Once a year we throw a party here in town
Once a year we turn all Paris upside down
Every man's a king and every king's a clown
Once again it's Topsy Turvy Day
It's the day the devil in us gets released
It's the day we mock the prig and shock the priest
Everything is topsy turvy at the Feast of Fools

Madeleine laughed and cheered with the rest of the crowd as she watched Clopin perform his acrobatric tricks and sing. He flipped, spun, and practically bounced through the crowd. 

It seemed most people had set aside their prejudice as the crowd interacted with the gypsies without any hatred. As if for this one day, they saw them as no different than any other Parisian. Madeleine now understood why all the gypsies looked forward to this day.

Clopin concluded his song by crowning a drunken man "The King of Fools". Once that was done the parade broke up into various displays around the square. Madeleine jumped down from the wall and glanced at Henri who nodded.

"You go on. Just be careful." Madeleine's brow furrowed.

"Of the gypsies?" 

"No. Of the drunks. People can get quite carried away."

"Alright!" said Madeleine with a grin. As she began to leave she heard Henri call. 

"And I want you back before dark!" 

Madeleine slipped through the crowd, her small stature made things a bit difficult but at last she made it over to a corner where some gypsies were playing music. 

The one that stood out was a woman, slightly younger than her, with bright green eyes and dark hair. Next to the woman a goat was dancing to the tambourine the woman played.

Madeleine clapped along with the music. The song ended and people began to move on to the next display. Madeleine was about to leave when someone tapped her shoulder.  She turned to see the green eyed woman.

"Are you Madeleine Clement?" asked the woman. Madeleine nodded.

"Yes," the woman grinned.

"You're as pretty as Clopin said. I'm his cousin Esmerelda." 

"Oh! Clopin told me about you as well!" exclaimed Madeleine. So this was Clopin's mischief making cousin.

"Good things I hope," laughed Esmerelda.

"More or less," giggled Madeleine. "You play very well," she added.

"Thank you. I wanted to dance but I hurt my ankle a few days before the festival." Esmerelda looked slightly miffed about this. 

"Well I look forward to seeing you dance when you're better," said Madeleine cheerfully.

"Not causing trouble are you?" said a familiar voice behind them. Both girls turned to see Clopin standing behind them his hands on his hips.

"Don't believe a word she says," he told Madeleine warningly. Esmerelda laughed. 

"You just don't want me to embarass you." Madeleine grinned.

"Oh now I MUST speak with you!" Clopin gave an exaggerated groan. 

"Mon dieu Esme, you live to torment me!" 

"True," said Esmerelda cheekily. 

"I'll see you after the festival?" Clopin asked her quietly. 

"Absolutely," replied Madeleine. Clopin then bounded away.

"I hope we meet again soon," Madeleine told Esmerelda.

"As do I," the younger woman replied. She then began to play another song while Madeleine continued to explore the festival.

Author's Note: Another chapter as promised! It's nice to write something cheerful again. I didn't include the full song because I want to save that for the events of the actual movie. Thanks to all my readers and especially those who have commented. It means a lot to hear from you so if you can take a moment to leave your thoughts in the comments I would greatly appreciate it! Until next week!