Terror

After the dinner Clopin and Madeleine returned to his tent.

"You can stay the night in here, I'll sleep somewhere else," Clopin told her, adding the last bit as he didn't want her to get the wrong idea and think he intended to take advantage of her.

"Thank you Clopin. For everything," Madeleine replied softly as she sat down on the bed. She bit her lip as if nervous than said.

"But could you stay, I don't want to be alone tonight," there was hint of desperation in the plea and Clopin walked over and joined her on the bed, pulling her into his arms so her head was resting on his chest as they lay back.

"Would you care to hear a story?" he asked softly. He knew distractions often helped with grief. Madeleine nodded and Clopin began.

"Once there was a beautiful lady who saved a handsome young gypsy," Clopin saw Madeleine's mouth twitch upward slightly.

"The two were from completely different worlds yet their hearts beat as one and it wasn't long before they realized they had fallen for each other. They faced many challenges and not everyone was happy at first that they were together. But together, they triumphed and eventually the world accepted their love. The lady and the gypsy went on to live long and happy lives."

Clopin glanced down at Madeleine and saw that she had at last fallen asleep. He stroked her golden hair as he watched her. He could only hope their story would turn out as happy as the one he told. But with things how they were there was no certainty to be found. 

HoND

It took a day or two for Madeleine to get used to life in the Court of Miracles. She hadn't gone above ground since her arrival. Not that she could if she wanted to. Things were far too dangerous and people now only went out to get food. Needless to say the catecombes were a bit cramped and restless.

Things were not looking good. Frollo was continuing his burning of the city as he searched for Esmerelda. The number of hangings had gone from a couple a month to nearly daily. Francois Aubert the weaver from their secret circle had just barely managed to escape to the Court with the gypsy couple he was hiding. Byron Leandre had not been so lucky. The old man was caught trying to smuggle out some gypsies and had been executed. Word was he hadn't gone quietly. 

That left the Miller's family as the only people involved in their secret group left above ground and Madeleine was terrified for them. 

To distract herself Madeleine helped look after some of the children of the Court, entertaining them with stories when Clopin could not spare the time, and even beginning to teach some of the older ones to read and write. 

The stress was clearly taking it's toll on everyone but perhaps nobody more so than Clopin. He tried to put on a brave face for his people but Madeleine knew him well enough to tell that he was scared for his people. The Court had remained a secret for decades but with the vigor of Frollo's search that safety was becoming less sure by the day.

Madeleine had never been one prone to hate or grudges. She could get angry yes but she had never felt a hatred like the one that burned inside her for Frollo. If anyone deserved Hell it was him.

She sat in Esmerelda's tent, sewing a blanket for one of the women in the Court who was expecting a child soon, while Esmerelda paced up and down.

"We have to do something! We can't just sit here."

"And what do you suggest? Clopin is having a hard enough time just keeping everyone safe. There's no way we could take on Frollo." Madeleine reminded her friend. Esmerelda groaned.

"I know. But I feel awful just sitting here. This is all my fault. I'm the one Frollo is after." Madeleine sighed.

"It's not all your fault Esme. You might be the catalyst for this whole thing but Frollo's sanity has been in question for a while and his hatred of gypsies didn't start with you." 

"Maybe, I just wish I could go above ground and do something useful like get the Miller's family out."

"Believe me, I'm just as worried," Madeleine replied.

"I wish Clopin hadn't banned me from going up above," sighed Esmerelda. "I'm even worried about that Captain of the Guard. He seemed like he might actually be a decent fellow."

"Clopin is just looking out for you. But why are you worried about dear Pheobus?" Madeleine asked raising an eyebrow as mischievous smile crossed her face.

"It's nothing! I mean, decent people are the ones most at risk right now," defended Esmerelda rather lamely.

"I think someone fancies the Captain of the Guard," Madeleine said in a singsong voice now grinning. 

"Shut up!" said Esmerelda half laughing as she threw a pillow at Madeleine who ducked just in time.

"Pheobus and Esmerelda sitting in a tree...oof!" Esmerelda's pillow had hit it's target this time.

"You can't talk, you're engaged to my cousin of all people," the dark haired woman retorted. At that Madeleine set aside her sewing and threw a pillow at Esmerelda. A fight ensued leaving the two women sprawled on the floor laughing.

"Really though, do you like him?" Madeleine asked. Esmerelda blushed.

"Maybe, I know I feel SOMETHING for him. I'm just not certain what." Madeleine stood and picked up her sewing.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out."

"Don't you DARE tell Clopin!" Esmerelda warned her and Madeleine laughed.

"My lips are sealed."

HoND

Madeleine was sitting in the tent she shared with Clopin when said man burst in looking a little frantic. 

"Have you seen Esmerelda?" Madeleine shook her head.

"Not since this morning."

"Damn that woman! She's disappeared."

"Meaning she's gone above ground!" Madeleine gasped.

"I'll send someone out to look for her this evening." Clopin said. Madeleine stood up and hugged him. 

"It'll be alright," she whispered. Hoping more than believing the words to be true.

HoND

Sometime later Madeleine heard a commotion outside the tent people were shouting and singing. Stepping outside she saw Clopin standing up on the platform at the end of the hall with a Quasimodo and Captain Pheobus who both had a noose around their necks.

"We find you totally innocent which is the worst crime of all so now you're going to hang!" sang Clopin. Before he could follow through on his threat a voice spoke from the crowd.

"Stop!" Madeleine saw Esmerelda push her way through the crowd up to the platform. Madeleine swiftly followed.

"They aren't spies, they're friends!" Esmerelda said to Clopin.

"Why didn't you say so?" asked Clopin cheerily. Madeleine shot him a slightly whithering look. 

"Perhaps because you didn't give them a chance?"

"This is the soldier that saved the Miller's family. And Quasimodo helped me escape the Cathedral." Esmerelda explained as she and Madeleine removed the gags.

"The Miller's family?" asked Madeleine sharply.

"They're safe," Pheobus reassured her before speaking to the crowd. "We came to warn you. Frollo is coming! He knows where you are hiding and will attack at dawn with a thousand men!" Madeleine's heart plummeted.

"Then there is no time to waste! We must leave immediately!" declared Esmerelda. All the gypsies scattered. 

"You took a terrible risk coming here. It may not show but we are grateful." Esmerelda told Pheobus and despite the terrible situation Madeleine couldn't stop the small smile that briefly flickered across her face.

"Don't thank me, thank Quasimodo. I wouldn't have found my way here if it weren't for him." Pheobus said modestly.

"And nor would I," said a sinister voice. Madeleine turned and to her horror saw Judge Claude Frollo leering at them triumphantly