Capture

"After twenty years of searching, the Court of Miracles is mine at last. Dear Quasimodo, I always knew you'd be of use to me someday." Madeleine felt sickened by the sadistic tone of Frollo's voice as he approached them.

"What do you mean?" asked Esmerelda but Madeleine had already figured it out. Frollo had tricked Quasimodo and preyed on his good nature.

"Why he led me right to you," Frollo told them with a smirk. He then turned to Phoebus and Madeleine.

"Ah and look what else I have caught in my web--Captain Phoebus and Mademoiselle Clement back from the dead. Another miracle I shall soon remedy. There will be a little bonfire in the square tomorrow and you are all invited to attend. Lock them up!" The guards converged on the crowd. Madeleine felt herself wrenched away from Clopin.

"Get your hands off her!" yelled Clopin fighting to get back to her.

"And what do we have here?" asked Frollo looking between them. His face twisted in disgust. "Just like your traitor brother. Knock out the gypsy and bring the girl to me at the Palace of Justice."

"No! Leave him alone!" cried Madeleine as a guard hit Clopin over the head and the gypsy crumpled. Tears flowed down her face as she was dragged away. How had it all gone so wrong?

HoND

Madeleine found herself standing in a cavernous room with a fireplace and cross at the far end of the room. Frollo stood in front of it while Madeleine glared at him, her hands chained.

"I suppose you are wondering why you are here," he said. Madeleine didn't reply.

"You see despite the traitorous actions you and your brother took my conscience..."

"You have one of those?" quipped Madeleine. At this point she didn't care about angering Frollo. She had nothing left to lose. Frollo glared at her.

"As I said my conscience will not allow me to execute one so young without giving you the opportunity to show remorse and atone for your actions. I can see how one so young and impressionable could be influenced by the deceitful actions of your brother and the gypsy scum he aided. Repent now and I will spare your life."

"Repent for what exactly? Behaving like a decent human being? Showing compassion to the less fortunate? Treating those who are different with equality? Falling in love? Tell me Minister, where in the Bible are those defined as sins?" she asked scornfully.

"The devil comes in many forms to corrupt the innocent." Madeleine scoffed.

"You really are off your rocker if you think you are innocent. People like you twist the words of the law and the Lord to defend your prejudice. You hold yourself up as holier than the rest of us, when in reality you are infinitely worse than those you seek to persecute."

"If you do not repent you shall die with the rest of the vermin," Frollo threatened as he towered over her. Madeleine did not back away despite the height difference.

"Then I shall do so gladly. When I go to my grave I can do so with a clear conscience. Can you say the same?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"You shall go to Hell for your choice," Frollo told her. Madeleine smirked.

"Well then, I'll be sure to introduce you to Satan when you join me. I'm sure you two will have lots in common." For a moment she saw fear flash across Frollo's face. He raised his hand and slapped her across the face. One of the gold rings he wore cut across her cheek drawing blood.

"Take her away!" Frollo ordered. Madeleine didn't both to struggle and simply shot Frollo a look of contempt.

HoND

Clopin paced the crowded dungeon. He was currently feeling a mix of fear and anger. Now not only were his people, who he'd tried so hard to protect, going to be executed. But the love of his life had been taken away to speak with Frollo. He tried not to think what Frollo might do to her. All for the crime of loving him. It was all his worst fears realized.

"I should have been more careful. I'm so sorry," Clopin turned to see a miserable looking Phoebus.

"Yes, you should be. Decades of safety violated by two idiots." he said scornfully. 

"I really was trying to help," Phoebus told him. Clopin knew the man spoke the truth but it felt good to unleash some of his stress on someone.

"Yes, well, the road to hell, or in this case execution is paved with good intentions." Clopin told him with a glare.

Suddenly the was a clang of a door being opened and echoing footsteps approached the packed cell. Madeleine was dragged into view. The guards unchained her hands, opened the door and threw her inside. 

She stumbled and Clopin caught her pulling her tightly into his embrace. 

"Thank goodness you're alive," he whispered as she returned the hug. They pulled apart and he saw a long cut on her cheek. He reached up gently to touch it.

"Did Frollo do this?" he asked. 

"Yes, I got a bit mouthy with him after he asked me to repent to save my life," she replied dryly.

Perhaps it was the seriousness of the situation and hysteria setting in but Clopin laughed softly at her words. His sweet, brave Madeleine. However his face soon fell.

"This is all my fault, you wouldn't be here if it weren't for me," he told her as the two of them sat down in a corner. Madeleine's aquamarine eyes widened in surprise before narrowing slightly. She placed a hand on his cheek.

"Clopin NONE of this is your fault."

"I couldn't protect you, let alone my people," he protested with a shake of his head.

"You listen to me Clopin Trouillefou, I do not regret for one moment falling in love with you. I knew the risks and I accepted them. Even if this leads to my death, I wouldn't exchange our time together for anything in the world. We stand and fall together. As for your people. Did you lead them to the Court? Did you reveal the location to Frollo? Did you take unnecessary risks that resulted in our capture? No. You put all your heart into protecting these people. No one could have done more. Frollo deserves the blame for all that has happened. So don't you dare for one second blame yourself." 

Clopin looked at her face which shone with passion. He leaned in and kissed her before resting his forehead against hers.

"Thank you mon amour. You truly are the most wonderful woman I have ever met. If this is truly the end, know that I love you more deeply than words can express." 

"I know," whispered Madeleine before kissing him passionately. At last they pulled apart and Clopin wrapped an arm about her shoulders. Madeleine rested her head on his shoulder and entwined their fingers together. 

"Hand in my hand and we promise to never let go. We're walking a tightrope," she sang softly. Clopin sang the next line.

"High in the sky we can see the whole world down below. We're walking  a tightrope," their voices harmonized.

"Now I know you'll catch me if I should fall. Well it's all an adventure that comes with a breathtaking view. Walking a tightrope with you."

Author's note: Aww. Two chapters to go! Please let me know your thoughts in the comments. I hope you are all enjoying reading this! Until next week.