Interrogations

There was shock and fear in her tone. Clopin's heart plummeted. If Frollo caught them...

"Quick!" Madeleine whispered, opening a cupboard under the water basin. It was a tight fit but Clopin was no stranger to hiding in small spaces. Madeleine closed the door just as there was a knock at the front door. Clopin heard her footsteps retreat and the door open.

"Bonjour Minister Frollo, to what do I owe the honor?"

"I was simply passing though and thought to stop and give you some advice," came Frollo's sinister voice. Two pairs of footsteps entered the kitchen and a chair scraped on the floor.

"Quite a lot of medical supplies for two people," commented Frollo shrewdly. If Clopin had thought he couldn't become any more worried he was wrong. His insides seemed to turn to ice at Frollo's words.

"My brother is a tinker and I'm afraid I'm rather clumsy. We like to be well prepared. Now, what did you wish to tell me?" asked Madeleine calmly and without missing a beat.

"It's come to my attention you and your brother are quite friendly with the gypsy vermin that have invaded Paris." Clopin felt a rush of anger at the insult to his people.

"My brother and I give them money for their performances but I'd hardly call us friendly," replied Madeleine steadily.

"Nonetheless it is unwise to associate with such people."

"I assure you Henri and I are simply doing our best as good Christians. Christ helped the poor and treated both jews and gentiles with kindness and respect. I see no difference between them and the gypsies."

"Gypsies lie and steal, they spread sin and temptation. They're kind must be eradicated for the sake of protecting the souls of the innocent," drawled Frollo.

"God alone can judge the innocent from the guilty," replied Madeleine her tone still cold as ice. The chair scraped again and Clopin heard Frollo stand up.

"I warn you Mademoiselle Clement. Do not allow your compassion to blind your judgement. It is a crime to associate with gypsies and no one will be exempt from justice if such an association is discovered.

"I'll be sure to bear that in mind. Rest assured my brother and I are not foolish enough to impede justice. We would only wish to help it."

"I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for your time Mademoiselle Clement and remember my warning. The front door closed and after another minute Madeleine opened the the cupboard door.

"It's safe," she said, helping him out.

"That was close." Clopin said gazing at Madeleine with worry.

"Indeed." replied Madeleine with a nod. Clopin reached out and stroked her cheek.

"Still sure you want to associate with me?" he asked softly. Madeleine rolled her eyes and stepped closer, putting her arms around his neck.

"It will take more than some bigoted judge to tear me away from you. I don't care what the future holds as long as I'm with you." Clopin's hand that wasn't on her cheek strayed to her waist.

"You really are one of the bravest women I know." Madeleine shrugged.

"Or the most foolish. One of the two." Clopin chuckled.

"Perhaps a bit of both." He leaned down and kissed Madeleine inhaling the scent of fresh freesia that seemed to always surround her. He knew then that he was truly starting to fall for her. She had handled Frollo with poise and fire. He was beyond lucky to have found her. Pulling away he smiled broadly

"You know with your performance skills you really should consider taking up acting," Clopin said with a smile to lighten the mood. Madeleine laughed.

"We'll see. I doubt I could ever compete with the talents of you and your people."

"You never know," replied Clopin slyly.

"Why do I have the feeling that's going to come back to haunt me?" asked Madeleine with a quirk of her eyebrow. Clopin laughed but did not reply.

"Whatever will I do with you," she said dryly. Clopin cocked an eyebrow.

"I have a few ideas."

"Oh hush you," replied Madeleine before leaning up and kissing him. When they finally pulled apart again. He smirked.

"Well, that's one way to quiet someone."

"Ridiculous man," muttered Madeleine leaning her head on his chest.

"But YOUR ridiculous man." Clopin told her resting his chin on her head. Madeleine hummed in agreement.

They stood there for a while not speaking, simply taking comfort in the prescence of one another. After what seemed like an age Madeleine finally pulled away.

"It's getting late, you should take the supplies back to the Court." Clopin nodded and picked up the basket of supplies that had come close to betraying them.

"Thank you, Madeleine. For everything." Madeleine smiled.

"It's my pleasure. I'll see you again soon?" Clopin nodded.

"You can be certain of it." With a final kiss Clopin began making his way from the Clement's house to the Court.

Author's note: Well, that was close! Our couple will have to watch out! Thanks to everyone who's read this and special thanks to those who commented. It means a lot so please if you like this take a moment to drop your thoughts below. Check back next week for the next installment in the story of Madeleine and Clopin!