A Perfect Duet

The festival eventually wound down in the early evening with people heading home for dinner, or in some cases the tavern for more alcohol. 

Madeleine was walking by the enterance of an alley when a hand shot out and grabbed her arm, pulling her into the alley and out of sight. She gasped but let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was only Clopin. She hit him on the arm.

"You scared me!" she said scoldingly.

"Mon dieu, you do hit hard," Clopin chuckled. "My deepest apologies for freightening you." Madeleine stepped closer and gave him a peck on the lips.

"You're forgiven." 

"Good! Shall we go then?"Clopin asked offering his arm.

"As long as I get home before dark." Madeleine told him.

"I think we can manage that," said Clopin and they headed off. Clopin led her to the outskirts of Paris. It always amazed Madeleine how well Clopin knew the city. Eventually the buildings gave way to green grass and trees. 

They talked amiably as they went. Finally they reached a tall hill. It was quite a climb and both were slightly out of breath by the time they reached the top. However the view was with it. The sunset was clearly visible. A mixture of shade of red, yellow, and orange streeked across the sky.

"Oh  Clopin, it's lovely!" exclaimed Madeleine. Clopin moved behind her and wrapped his long arms around her petite form. 

"I knew you'd love it. Just as I love you," he whispered the last part in her ear. Madeleine's breath caught in her throat at the declaration and her heart sped up, She turned to face him and placed her arms about his neck. 

"And just as I love you. Her right hand came to rest on his ceek the pale skin of her hand contrasting with Clopin's brown skin. It was a physical representation of how different they were. And yet, Madeleine couldn't help but feel that they were meant to be. They came from such different backgrounds but had fallen in love. 

He leaned his forehead against hers and Madeleine closed her eyes for a moment. 

"Please just promise me something," she whispered.

"Anything mon coeur," Clopin replied. 

"Whatever comes we'll face it together. We won't let anyone part us."

"That's a promise I'm more than happy to keep," he said with a smile before pressing his lips to hers. After a moment Clopin began to hum and started to lead Madeleine in a dance. He then started to sing.

I found a love
For me
Oh darling, just dive right in
And follow my lead
Well, I found a girl
Beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone
Waitin' for me

'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowin' what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow
Your heart is all I own
And in your eyes, you're holding mine

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favourite song
When you said you looked a mess
I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it
Darling, you look perfect tonight

Blushing slightly Madeleine began to sing

Well, I found a man
Stronger than anyone I know
He shares my dreams
I hope that someday we'll share a home
I found a love
To carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children
Of our own

We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fightin' against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be your girl, you'll be my man
And I see my future in your eyes

Then their voices joined in harmony as they both sang,

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
While listenin' to our favorite song
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel
In person
And she looks perfect
And he looks perfect
No I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

They continued to dance, barely noticing night falling.

HoND

It was slightly past dark when when Madeleine returned home. Clopin dropped her off with a final kiss.

Madeleine opened the door quietly, hoping Henri had already gone to bed. No such luck.

When she entered the kitchen she found Henri leaning against the counter his arms crossed.

"Perhaps you could explain how the sky being pitch black equals before dark." He said slightly sharply. Madeleine hung her head.

"I'm sorry. Clopin and I lost track of time." Henri sighed some of the anger fading from his face.

"I figured you were with him but I wasn't sure. You had me worried. I'm supposed to look after you and I can't do that if I don't know where you are." He walked towards her and pulled her into his arms, resting his chin on her head. Madeleine hugged him back.

"I'm really sorry," said Madeleine who now felt quite guilty at making her brother worry. 

"You're forgiven Little Leine." He pulled away and smiled. "Now get to bed." Madeleine saluted playfully before running upstairs.

Author's note: Another chapter down. Looks like things are getting serious with Madeleine and Clopin. The song I used is called perfect duet by Ed Sheeran and Beyonce. Thanks to everyone who has read this and special thanks to those that comment. I really appreciate the encouragement and it helps motivate me to keep on schedule with the chapters. Until next week!