Chapter 4

You got close to the land and dropped anchor.  You, Will and 4 other crew members boarded a boat and rowed off to shore.  The island looked to be deserted, but had lush trees and white sands, it was like a small oasis.  

You arrived on the sand and waited for the crew to beach the dingy before Will hopped out and held his hand out for you.  You took it and let him help you out of the small boat, your feet landing in  a few inches of cold water.  It felt refreshing and calming to feel the coolness spread up your whole body.  

You all made your way farther into the shore.  

“You two head west,” Will said pointing at two of the crew members, “you two head east,” he continued pointing at the others, “we will head north, meet back at this beach at sundown.  If you find any clues of Jack, find us immediately.” 

“Aye,” the men called, already heading in their assigned directions.  

Will held out his arms, gesturing for you to lead the way.  You nodded and took off toward the line of trees.  You moved so quickly through the terrain that Will had a hard time keeping up.  He finally caught up to you bending over with his hands on his knees catching his breath.  

“I know you want to find your brother, but how could you possibly have seen anything moving that fast?”  He asked you between heavy breaths.  

“You forget I spent most of my life running through the trees and trying to find cool things,” you laughed, placing a hand on his still hunched back.  

“Well did you see anything interesting?” he asked finally standing up straight and breathing normally.  

“No, I saw no sign of inhabitants at all.  No paths, no markings, not even a worn down patch of grass.  It’s like no person or animal has lived here in years,” you responded, hanging your head.

Will lifted your chin up to look directly in your eyes, “Sparrow, you knew we probably would not find him at the first place we looked.” 

You lowered your gaze, “I know Will, but the more I think about it, the more I am afraid that we never will.” 

“Have hope, we will find him I promise,” Will leaned in to kiss your forehead, “it just might take a while.”  You leaned into his touch and wrapped your arms around him tightly breathing in his scent.  You got so close it was like your bodies melded together, but it felt right.  

You made it to the north end of the small island, still with no signs of inhabitants.  Disheartened, you made your way back to the beach where the rest of the crew was waiting.  

They awaited your arrival before bringing their bad news, “We are sorry Lady Sparrow, we found no signs of Jack here.”  They seemed genuinely sorry for you, if there was one thing you would never understand it was the instant love and loyalty the crew felt towards you, but you were forever grateful for it.  

You placed a hand on one of their shoulders, “we found no signs either, let’s get back to the ship.”   

You all got into the dingy and rowed back to the ship without a backwards glance.  After a long uneventful, saddening day, you went straight to the captain’s quarters and fell asleep.