42

One moment. A split second. One decision that could've ruined everything. You felt as your throat became raw and bloodied with the sound of your screams, feeling every single bit of power you had leave your body, rushing down to your finger tips and bursting out around you. You could sense Bucky lay on the ground beside you. Every instinct you had was filled with a burning desire to protect him. And that's exactly what you were going to do. So as the last breath of your scream faded to a stop and you felt your lungs ache with a lack of air; you gasped, falling to your knees to check on Bucky. Knowing that was the only thing you could do in that moment as your legs gave way from beneath you. It was mere seconds before a large man stepped towards the two of you, his eyes filled with a rage you hadn't seen in anyone before. You knew in that moment you were too weak to take him on without someone else getting to Bucky. So instead you did the only thing you could think of- 'Leave him. He's mortal. He can easily be killed me on the other hand, I am a God. No man could match my power and I made that very clear just now.' You grimaced at the dull pain that throbbed with every word that formed in your throat. Your voice sounding brittle and croaky.

The large man stopped where he stood and that was when you felt a hand brush your arm, Bucky beginning to attempt to push himself off the floor. 'Y/n... no, you can't do this-' you placed your lips to his, letting them interlock with a passion that coarsed through your veins setting of sparks deep within your soul. Letting everything that had happened in the last 24 hours flood into Bucky's mind.

You stood, listening to Tony as he clattered on about the situation. Honestly; you felt exhausted already simply wishing to leave now to get Bucky back. But you knew you had to be patient or everything could go wrong. You could feel your head throbing 2ith an unforgiving pain, trying your best not to let anyone know how you were feeling. You focused your eyes back on Tony as you heard him say your name, letting a small, 'hmm' be your reply.

After everyone had began to go and get ready for the mission, you snuck up to the roof after seeing Peter arrive- making his way to Winnie instantly with his backpack brimming with new toys to shkw her, (most of which were starters related.) You lay back on the roof, feeling the gentle breeze brush against your skin flushing your cheeks slightly with the cold. A faint whisper of the sun escaped from behind the clouds, helping trap some warmth into your chest. You listened closely to the rhythm of your breath, regulating it and remaining in complete control of yourself.

Your eyes opened slightly as any form of warmth from the sun suddenly disappeared. When you looked up you could see a silhouette floating down beside you, slight hints of red could be made of from the clothing, but other than that you were confused and honestly really didn't feel like dealing with crap in that moment. All your worry faded as you began to make out the features- 'Wanda?' You pushed yourself to your feet, jumping up to wrap your arms around her, 'where on earth have you been?'
'Just had a couple of goodbyes to say...' You saw the pain flood her eyes as Wanda blinked back the tears.

You spent the afternoon listening to Wanda tell ypu everything that had happened; about Westview... and about Vision. You listened intently, using it to block out the building anxiety within your stomach. Watching the clock tick slowly as the minutes passed by. Until finally, Thor walked through the door, nodding in your direction. You swiftly stood, placing a small kiss on Wanda's forehead before rushing off.

You stood waiting for what felt like hours in the darkness, looking out for the reflection that always came with Bucky and his arm. When your eyes finally caught the glint, you felt your heart almost leap out of your chest. He was not meters away from you. One by one you saw the Hydra men get picked off by Tony, then Sam and Cap. Nat took out another along with Wanda before Loki burst in, signalling to everyone that it was now or never. You had made Thor promise to stay with Winnie, to keep her safe because you knew Hydra would stoop that low to gain leverage.

You saw a gun raise, pointing towards Bucky; you sent the bullet flying in the opposite direction before wrapping your arms around Buckys shoulders, feeling his arms strong around you. He hadn't lost himself to them again. He had won. And you certainly weren't going to let this win be for nothing. So before anyone could take advantage of you reuniting with Bucky, you turned, taking out more and more people. Yet they only seemed to multiply, pulling up in vans, bringing in dozens of supersoldiers.

One by one, the avengers fell out of action, leaving only you, Bucky lay on the ground beside you. The panic that had resided within you finally escaping, tearing out of you with the anger and pain you felt. Wiping out those closest to you, putting enough distance between you and them to say one last goodbye.

'Y/n... no, don't do this please." Bucky's voice sounded broken, pulling you back from your decision at the thought of his broken heart. But deep down you knew it would be better than a bullet in his heart.
'I'm sorry darling, I have too. Winnie needs you and I'll be back. I promise.' You whispered to him before standing, your cheeks stained with tears and your limbs filling with a dull ache. 'Swear you won't touch anyone else but me. Not Bucky or Winnie or Stark, Nat or any of my family.' Your tone was stern and commanding, earning one swift nod before the Hydra men who surrounded the others backed away. You knelt down, placing a kiss on Bucky's forehead, a final tear rolling down your cheek before you walked towards the large man before you, feeling one of them take your hands behind your back, placing a device around your neck to stop you from using your powers. Another injecting your arm. Almost instantly, you felt your eyes grow heavy and your limbs give way. The last sound to fill your ears and occupy your mind was the sound of Bucky's voice,
'Y/n, no...'