( j. allerdyce ) stick around

GENRE: fluff
WARNINGS: john is a little pushy in the beginning but learns boundaries!
NOTES: veganmilk_ this one is for u <3 okay so maybe i'm on an old x-men binge SO WHAT??? i love him. also there's a part 2 bc it ended up being too long lmao
WORD COUNT: 3266

___________

As you made your way through the hallways to get to maths class, you turned a corner, only to come face to face with the person you wanted to see the least. Johnny had a habit of lurking around, and you were sure that he hadn't attended a single class on time since starting at the school.

It wasn't unusual for him to attach himself to you in the passages every now and again, attempting to hit on you, or tease you. You weren't ever sure why he did it: maybe to make you as late as him, maybe because he was a shameless flirt, maybe because he was lonelier than he seemed. Either way, you didn't really want to get involved (at least, that's what you told yourself).

You had always been a slight outsider at Xavier's, and he seemed drawn to that; because he was, too, in a way. He was always the bad boy, always the delinquent and the worst student. At this point, you thought he behaved like he did just to prove everyone right in what they thought about him.

It was hot that day, and you were sure his body temperature was even higher than the usual persons because of his mutation. He wore a tank top, his lighter poised in his hand, and noticeably, no school books whatsoever. His hair was slicked back, and he had a smug smile like he usually did, leaned back up against the wall — too posed to be casual.

"Hey, love," Johnny purred from over your shoulder, suddenly in stride with you as you heard the familiar click of his Zippo fluttering in his fingers.

You sighed slightly, perhaps not as annoyed as you should have been. You knew what it was like to be alone, and not accepted by even some of the mutants around you. Your attitude wasn't as Boy Scout as some liked, and you didn't let anyone give you shit; other students, or staff. That being said, you weren't particularly rude. Just distant. None of your classmates could get to you like they wanted, and because of that, you were in a pretty similar boat to Johnny. That did not mean you had to let him get away with anything, however.

"Go away," You told him simply, not particularly pushy or forceful — and you weren't sure if you were really trying to get him to leave at all, anyways. Sometimes you liked the attention from him, and you couldn't be blamed for that when you were mostly starved of that sort of thing.

"Oh, c'mon," His tone was deep, and closer to your ear than you expected. You looked up at him slightly, trying to hide the way your face warmed — but he didn't seem to miss it, given his growing grin, "When will you just give me a chance, sweet heart?" The pet name fell from his lips so naturally, that you couldn't bare to linger on it for too long.