Prologue

I was late. Extremely late. Lateness is a recurring tendency of mine however today was the one day where being alarmingly late was the last thing I'd want to happen on earth.

I had lost track of time, zoning off, gazing at my vintage mirror. The very mirror that has posed on my vanity desk since I was first given my sister's hand-me-down room. The same mirror I've lost myself in everyday, whether in preparation for dinner, lessons, or bed, I was always back at that mirror.

I think it's because the mirror is like me. Beautiful, flawless, carved with perfection by the most genuine artists but on the inside the mirror is ugly with secrets. If you pried off the wood panel on the back of the mirror a small space is revealed and that is where I keep my things. Private things, things that only I knew and saw, just like all the things the mirror saw. 

For example my diary, I wrote everything in there, everything I couldn't say but knew, just like the mirror.

It's why I'm always staring at the mirror, at myself, eyes traveling the expanse of pale skin and long eyelashes. Studying those mismatched blue and brown eyes. I had been doing exactly that today until the calling of my maid reminded me that I not only had the most important event of my life in about an hour but I was also late for it.

And here I was, late. The carriage, jumpy and nervous, skidding across the gravel. A sick feeling of bitterness rests in my guts. Not only am I anxious and downright terrified but my parents refused to come. My mother was too busy to nag my hair, my siblings too apathetic to even watch and my father so indifferent he didn't even bother to wave me off. What did I expect?

Sighing, I drop my head on the suede seat. I stared up at the wood-paneled ceiling, the only entertainment besides the flashing of woods outside my window. After all, my eyes were blessed with the spectacular elegance that is the carvings of the 5 tribes on the ceiling. My mind mauls over the information of the tribes as I glance at the first one:

Blind Rave. Bold and brutish, known for their expert weapons making, their biggest export being those very weapons. 

The second tribe: Chard Mast, smart and cunning but they have a losing streak when it comes to the overall physical strength of their tribe. It's a genetics thing. However, they do have a fortifying position on the top of a mountain, they're practically impenetrable

Star Caste, the largest tribe, thriving on a jackpot of precious metals and oil. They're grand and rich beyond belief, to the point there's an overpopulation problem. 

My eyes then fall to the most familiar symbol, Miracle Gen. Although the smallest tribe (out of the big 5) in population, we are famed for two things, our agriculture and our beauty. Our kingdom's river valley position allows for the most desirable soil for farming, with the largest farming exports of all the tribes.

However, even though we farm food for about the entirety of the country, people only care about the beauty of our people. 

Every person in our tribe is obnoxiously attractive. My mother was the most gorgeous omega in the entire tribe, hidden away until she was presented at the same fiasco that I'm going to today. She was scooped up and mated away with my dad almost instantly. As soon as I was born it was obvious my dad only wanted her for the profits of children. The first male born to my parents and yet I was the big disappointment of an omega. It's not common for omegas to be born as males and puberty didn't hit me till I was older. They only saw me as valuable as my looks flourished, originally I was scum to them. At least my looks made them love me. And today was the day where their "love" was going to be paid off.

I squeeze my eyes shut, letting out a stuttered breath. I didn't want to think about that right now, it left a nasty feeling in my heart, especially not when all that love and training was leading up to where I was meant to be 5 minutes ago. Running my hands over my face, I look back up at the ceiling of the carriage.

Slowly my eyes drift to the final symbol. Tucked away at the edge of the ceiling, the smallest and darkest symbol of them all. As if the symbol was meant to be hidden away.

Silver Skull. Mysterious in every way, rarely ever seen, but known for their insanely strong alphas and betas. They've won every war in the past 10 centuries and not even I could tell you how, they also live on so much gold that they don't even know what to do with it. It's like Star Caste but way stronger and scarier.

Speaking of scary, that's all I'm consumed by, fear.
Fear of my future, where I'll be, who will take me. Today is the day I've been prepared for, for 18 years. What I've sobbed alone in my room over but also fantasized and dreamed about. Today is the day where the strongest, fastest, smartest, and best alpha will get to take me away.

This will be the last day I'll ever see my tribe or home again.

The Mate Hunt.

I wasn't ready. How could I be? None of my family is here yet the pressure of appeasing them is still on my shoulders. Everything I've been through to get to this point still haunts me. The fact that my future is so uncertain yet so exhilarating. I can't discern fear from excitement anymore. How can I possibly be prepared?

Yet here I was. The Mate Hunt cresting on the horizon. My carriage speeding up as if the horse's nerves were dancing with mine.

Here I was. The place where my life will change forever. The last place I'll be free but also the last place I'll be lonely. The place where alphas fight for me to the death, where my only purpose is what I can do as an omega, and that's not much according to a lot of people. And there's nothing I can do about it. All that can be said is, may the best Alpha win.   

- Hola author notes here. Wanna say thank you for reading this book if you've started it and if you're rereading it than you know this story has been changed. WHOO HOOO revisions. Yeppers this story is being revised currently, as we speak. So look forward to that as well as obviously the new chapters. Anyways shoutout to my editors and helpers! Ty.