ELEVEN

The Other Innit | Wilbur Soot

TW: cheating, dad abandonement, emotional response

Tommy tried to act like everything was okay, that the encounter with him was not that bad, but he was beyond scared

He tried to mask it in front of his family, but he never could hide something from them for too long, it was almost like he was made of glass, but they never forced him to talk. Sometimes he wish they did, it would end with his agony a little easier.

Since he was little he always knew that he never wanted to be like his dad and he learned from the best how to be a good man. Lucas was always there guiding him.

But whenever his father appeared in their lives it was like everything turned upside down. Tommy tried to act strong. He knew that hiding his emotions was not good, he fought with Lucas way too much because of that, but sometimes is the only thing you can do.

But right now he was sitting in the highest step of the stairs, listening to Angela and Lucas talk about something they didn't think he remembered. He was only four back then but it was one of his earliest memories.

It was kinda late at night, the rain was heavy in the street but the little family inside the car was more than happy.

They were coming back from Lucas Show Night. He was part of the school theatre club and he managed to get the main character. It was a bid hard considering he got really nervous when people payed attention to him but he had a lot of fun.

His father wasn't able to come watch him because of a business trip, it made the ten year old Lucas quite sad but whenever he looked at the audience he saw Tommy's small face smiling back at him. If his four year old brother was proud and happy, that was more the enough for him.

Angela couldn't be more proud. Lucas had worked so hard for that presentation, he made his costume basically alone and learned all his lines using Tommy as an audience. She was happy for her little prince. His smile was the brightest thing in the world right now and she wanted to protect it at all costs.

She was not expecting that after that night that smile would disappear for a long time.

——

As soon as Angela parked in front of their house, Lucas unbuckled his seatbelt and took a run for their home. His mum had promised him a tub of ice cream.

Lucas opened the front door with no problem and that gave Angela a warning that something was wrong. The front door was not supposed to be open.

The lights were on, she remembered turning them off when she left. Maybe Harry was home. But he never gets home earlier from a business trip.

Angela found Lucas frozen at the kitchen. He was staring at another thing she knew that was not there before she left earlier today. There were two wine glasses over the kitchen counter. Harry's favorite wine.