22| exposed

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

So.

Where to start.

The beginning is nowhere near as significant as the middle, and definitely not as important as the end. To make a long story short, Selene cornered me one Friday during my junior year before I was about to go to class. I don't remember which one it was. I'm not sure it really even matters.

She had this cheeky look on her face, like she was up to something. I knew the look well, and I knew that each time I was supposed to act like I had no idea that she was up to something. "Dovey! I've got a message to deliver!"

"A message?" I asked, genuinely intrigued. Usually she would just run up and blurt out whatever gossip she had heard. This time was different.

She nodded. "A little birdy asked me to tell you to meet them on the football field after the homecoming game tonight."

I remember Selene was bouncing on the balls of her feet. She looked like she was about to burst from excitement. I thought that whoever it was, they must have been pretty damn special for her to be acting like this.

At the time, something about it felt off. I was confused about why she wouldn't just tell me who it was. Back then, I never thought she would lead me astray, so I shook off the feeling. That was a stupid mistake. Like a fool, I did exactly as she asked. After the homecoming football game, I stood on the field.

And waited.

And waited.

Just as I was about to leave, I noticed a figure with a helmet in their hand running out of the field house toward me. Initially, I was startled, but as he approached I realized it was Mick. I didn't have any reason to fear him at that point in my life. When we were in high school, we all called him a gentle giant. He was this 6"3 giant of a man who was stronger than my Dad and brother combined, but we all believed that he had a heart of gold. Sure, when we were in elementary school, he was temperamental. It was awful, the tantrums he had. But by middle school, we all just assumed he'd grown out of it.

God, I have never been more wrong about a person.

"You're the one who wanted to see me?" I was confused. If he wanted to ask me for something, he could have just texted me. It wasn't like he didn't have my phone number.

He nodded, grinning like he'd gotten a puppy for Christmas. "I needed to ask this in person."

I can't remember this part perfectly, but I think he grabbed my hands. Yeah, that is how it went. They were all rough and calloused. I couldn't stop thinking about how small my hands seemed in his. It was the first time in my life I'd really ever felt small. I know I'm short, but it never felt so blatantly obvious until then. Part of me wanted to pull away, but I didn't. I should have.

"Will you go to the homecoming dance with me?" He asked.

I don't know why I said yes. Please don't ask me why I said yes. I didn't even like him, until that night I'd only ever thought of him as my best friend's older brother. But at that moment, my brain must have short circuited. It's like the moment someone decided I was worthy of them, I melted. It wasn't the first time it happened, but it was the last.