Chapter 2

A/N:  I'm British so I truly have no idea how learning to drive works in the USA. I've googled and found a 16 year old can get a learner's permit in the state of Washington and then after 6 months can get a full license with restrictions. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong or misunderstood what I've found online.

I don't own anything you recognise, only Olivia and my own story lines.

~°*°~

6th September, 2002

Today is my 16th Birthday. The last few weeks have been great. I spent a lot of time on the reservation with the twins, and I've seen Paul at the beach a few times too. We've exchanged smiles, but still haven't actually spoken to each other.

I sigh and climb out of bed before heading to the bathroom to get ready for the day before heading downstairs. Dad is in the kitchen reading the paper and drinking coffee - His usual morning routine.

"Happy Birthday Livvy!" He says, looking up as I walk in.

"Thanks Dad." I say with a snile before grabbing a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice and joining him at the table to eat.

He hands me a card and a small box. I open the card and then the box, finding a car key inside.

"Dad?"

"I thought since you said you wanted to get your learner's permit we could go down to get it. The key is for your birthday gift. It's parked in the driveway." He tells me.

I squeal a little and run outside, finding a used ford focus in black out there.

"Dad, this is amazing, thank you!" I say, giving him a hug.

"You're welcome." He replies gruffly, patting my back.

~°*°~

Later that afternoon I'm back at First Beach with Becca and Rachel. We're sat talking and having fun. It isn't long before Paul and his friends put in an appearance, taking their place a little way from us. It is a little while later when the twins hand me a small wrapped gift.

"Happy Birthday!" Rachel says, smiling.

"Sweet 16!" Rebecca exclaims.

"Thanks!" I say, hugging them both. "You didn't need to get me anything."

"Of course we did." Rachel replies, nudging me to open the small parcel.

I unwrap it to finding a gorgeous braided leather necklace with beads intertwined.

"I love it!" I say, putting the necklace on and hugging the twins.

We spend more time enjoying the sun and eating the food we brought with us. I glance over and catch Paul looking at me. I give him a smile and he gives me a small smile in return.

A return my attention back to the twins and they pull out a small birthday cake. We cut pieces for ourselves and a few minutes later I hear someone clearing their throat to get our attention. We all look up and see Paul standing there.

"Errr... hi." I stutter.

"Hi." He replies with a smirk. "I just wanted to say Happy Birthday." He says.

"Thanks." I reply, smiling wide. "Want some cake?"

"Sure." He replies. We cut him a slice and he eats it quickly.

"That was great." He says. "I better get back."

"See you soon." I say.

"Hope so." He replies cockily with a wink before walking off.