°˖✧ duty calls » hermione granger ✧˖°

—author's note: This  made me remember just how much I appreciate little things. So a fluffy story about a lazy day in bed which turns serious when Hermione shares some news.

—warning(s): mentions of food, nightmares and anxiety. gender neutral!reader (pronouns aren't used).

—word count: 1,053

You heaved a sigh, moving your limbs into a more comfortable position. Turning your head towards the right side of the bed, you noticed Hermione was still asleep. Brown curls messily framed her face. If she was awake, she would keep pushing them away in vain. It was only seldom you could find her as peaceful. Before you could stop yourself, you moved closer to her kissing her nose. It scrunched up, her eyes opening up in delight. Her hands found your waist, pulling you closer. Humming, she rested her face in the crook of your neck. You smiled.

"You know, I can never get used to this," you said, your voice having a raspiness that comes after a good night's sleep. "Waking up next to my gorgeous girlfriend."

Hermione responded with a kiss to the collarbones. She groaned.

"Can't we spend the whole day like this?" she said as pulled back, tugging a rather rampant curl behind her ear.

"Hey now, remember what we said about frowning?" you said as Hermione let out a giggle.

"That I don't want me to die soon just because I wore a sore expression most of the time," she beamed up at you. Cradling your face, she tugged you closer leaving a peck on your lips.

"Come on, I can make some blueberry pancakes," you suggested as Hermione nodded enthusiastically.

Getting up lazily, you made your way over to the bathroom. Brushing your teeth and washing your face, you moved towards the small kitchen. Hermione joined you moments later, helping you do your apron. She hated cooking, even more so after she came back from her mission with Harry. Sitting up on the countertop, she watched you combine milk, sugar, and flour together. It was like a bubble. A beautiful bubble you two had created together, the one you didn't want to escape. Like an unsaid promise, you and Hermione had found your own rhythm.

War had changed people. Even if it was calm, it was a strange one. Hermione still had nightmares just like Harry and Ron. She would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, clutching your hand for support. You wouldn't go to bed after, because no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get the scare out of her head. Getting up and putting on your favorite show, you would watch them with her, laughing and crying until sleep consumed you. Some scars never truly heal. Moments like these reminded you how you could still find happiness amongst your struggles.

Hermione was telling something about her workplace as reality grabbed your attention back.

"Huh?" you asked, disoriented. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking about something."

Hermione gave you a kind smile.

"Harry came by yesterday," she started. "He doesn't want to be an Auror anymore."

"He doesn't?"

"Yes, he wants to teach."

"Didn't expect that," you said, surprised. But then again, the DA club was the place where you learned the most.

You poured the batter into the pan, waiting for it to turn golden. Hermione grabbed some plates and glasses for juice. Finishing plating, you moved toward the small round table, digging in. It was mostly silent, except the wind chimes clinking at the window.

"You know," Hermione started, biting her lip nervously. "Since Harry dropped out, someone would have to take his mission."

Chewing the pancake slowly, you furrowed your eyebrows.

"Okay?"

"And the ministry suggested that since I was the one who tracked do—"

"No," you said pointedly before she could finish. "Don't take that mission, Hermione, it's dangerous. Everyone advised Harry to give it up and for valid reasons might I add."

"But it's important information, if not me then who?"

"Anyone but you. Hermione please it was torturous enough when you left for the first time."

Hermione put her hand over yours, squeezing.

"I know, but I came back safely didn't I?"

"You and I have very different definitions of safe," you shook your head, gulping and pulling your hand away. Hermione's face fell further. "I am proud of you Hermione, I really am and I know you can handle yourself. But this? Walking into a death trap? How could you ask me to agree to this?"

Hermione opened and closed her mouth. You looked over at her, realization dropping in on you.

"You already agreed to it, didn't you?" you inquired as she gave the smallest of nods.

It felt like the air was closing in on you. You blinked away tears. Pushing away your plate, you got up stalking towards the bedroom. Ignoring her pleas, you shut the door behind you. You needed some time to get yourself together. Sitting down on the bed, you looked at the palm of your hands. There was a knock at the door. Hermione came in after a few minutes of no response.

"Hey," she whispered, kneeling down in front of you. You looked away. "I know it's dangerous and that's why we'll have all kinds of backup. We'll make sure we are as safe as possible."

"And I'll be back in a blink I promise. You won't even know I was somewhere other than the ministry of magic."

"Come on, at least look at me."

"I know you're not that angry at me, just sad about the situation. Stop acting like that," she said as you tried your best not to let your expressions waver.

"Hey."

You heard her take a deep breath.

"You want to play pretend? Well, two can play that game," she said before holding your face so you could see her. "And right now, all I want is to kiss my lovely partner in crime assuming we just got up from eating a lovely breakfast and are happy about everything."

Her lips found your forehead, moving down to your nose. A peck on the cheek and a hushed 'I love you' followed and you couldn't help but lean into her touch.

"I love you so much, Hermione," you said softly. Pressing her mouth against yours, she kissed you slowly making you melt. When you pulled back, it felt like you were in a daze. "I'm just so scared, you know?"

You looked up at her as she rested her forehead along with yours.

"I know," she said. There was nothing quite simpler.

—let me know what you think! Your feedback makes my day!