25. S M A L L E R A G E N T S

THEY WERE IN THE AIR for a good few hours, in which Milenka only managed to steal a few restless minutes of sleep

THEY WERE IN THE AIR for a good few hours, in which Milenka only managed to steal a few restless minutes of sleep. Every time she closed her eyes she saw him. The relief that, as much as he tried to hide it, was plastered firmly behind his eyes. In that moment he wasn't the Maximoff that would kill her without hesitation, but someone else. And it frustrated Lenks to no ends that she couldn't place her finger on it.

It was still light out when the quinjet arrived somewhere in the middle of the countryside in the States. The Avengers (plus Milenka) filed out of the jet in a heavy silence, one that had been weighing on them for most of the silent flight. Lenks kept herself at the tail end of the group, still not certain that they even wanted her here, but they had just forgotten to drop her off somewhere else.

They walked through an overgrown meadow and through a wooden gate towards a large farmhouse. Ascending the steps up the porch, Thor was the first to speak, "What is this place?"

"Safe house." Stark guessed.

Clint, who had an arm wrapped around Nat's shoulder to support her, pushed open the door, "Let's hope." he led them through the entryway and into the living room, "Honey? I'm home." he called out.

A heavily pregnant woman turned round the corner holding a few kids drawings. She placed them on a side table and embraced Clint in a hug, "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." he told her.

Stark looked between his friend, trying to make sense of all this, "This is an agent of some kind."

Standing awkwardly in the doorway to the living area, Lenks didn't know what to do with herself. It seemed this was new information to everyone else on the team, not just to her, and she wondered if she should be privy to the discussion. Despite Tony's guesses, Milenka was certain that Clint must have a family that the Avengers never knew about, and that this woman was his wife.

"Gentlemen, this is Laura." Clint introduced.

Laura waved, glancing along the row of superheroes, "I know all of your names." her eyes connected with Milenka's at the very end of the row, "But not yours?"

"Laura, honey, this is Milenka Popova. She's working with us on this mission." Clint introduced her.

"Hey." Lenks greeted, smiling awkwardly.

"Ooh. Incoming!" Clint smiled in anticipation.

Milenka heard the sound of footsteps running down the stairs. She leant backwards to see a boy who looked about eight, and a girl who couldn't be older than five. The boy had dark brown hair like his mother, and the girl shared features with her father, her light brown hair separated into two plaits.