30. R I S I N G

The city was quiet this early in the morning, the foxes probably outnumbered the people on the streets

The city was quiet this early in the morning, the foxes probably outnumbered the people on the streets. As the quinjet flew over Novi Grad, Lenks was able to spot the remains of both of her childhood homes, the high school she attended, the church which held the memorial for the air-strikes, the park where she used to hang out with Larysa...

God, Larysa. And Zrinka and Costel. They were somewhere down there, sleeping peacefully unawares of the battle that was about to ensue. As selfish as it was, Milenka knew that the first place she would evacuate was their apartment building.

Clint landed the jet in an empty parking lot not too far away from the city centre. Stark and Thor had left while they were in the air, taking Bruce with them, so it was just Barton, Rogers and the Maximoffs walking down the gangway with Milenka onto the ground. Lenks' body was shaking with an mixture of fear and anticipation, and she took a couple of deep inhales before joining the rest of the team in the parking lot.

Ironically, the wall of one of the buildings in the square housed a piece of graffiti depicting Cap's helmet-covered head, with the word fašista spray-painted in red over the top, his pupils the same colour. Steve, who had just picked up his helmet, placed it back down in the jet, not wanting to be associated with the image it represented.

Once everyone was out of the jet, Wanda informed the two Americans, "The bridge is the main route out."

Milenka continued, "You should evacuate most people through there."

"We can cover the others." Pietro finished. He was jogging on his feet, warming himself up for all the running he was going to be doing this day.

"Wake everyone up." Steve instructed them. Pietro scooped up his twin and they raced out of the car park and towards the north side of the city.

Clint eyed the piece of graffiti as if he was inspecting a respected piece of artwork in a museum, "Not bad." he shrugged.

"I think it's a pretty good likeness." Lenks commented sarcastically.

Turning to face the teen, Steve's expression was unimpressed, "What are you still doing here?"

"Right." she noted, giving a meek smile and starting to a light jog, "Sorry."

While the Maximoffs had gone north, Lenks headed west. Larysa's apartment was located on that side of the city, and it was the farthest zone from the bridge, meaning people would have to use a different route to escape the city.

It took about five minutes of running until Milenka reached an area she knew Barton and Cap wouldn't be able to cover. Luckily enough, she drew her imainary line right beside her friend's building. Teleporting up to the top floor, she knocked harshly on each door and told every sleepy-eyed Sokovian they had to evacuate the city as it was under attack. She recognised an elderly woman as one of the ladies Oksana used to have knitting classes with, and helped her down a few flights before someone else took over.