29. T R U C E

AFTER QUICKLY CHANGING INTO a set of clothes acceptable to wear in a battle (black training trousers and a long-sleeve workout t-shirt) Milenka jumped to the gear room, where she was taken aback at the sight of the male Maximoff putting on a bl...

AFTER QUICKLY CHANGING INTO a set of clothes acceptable to wear in a battle (black training trousers and a long-sleeve workout t-shirt) Milenka jumped to the gear room, where she was taken aback at the sight of the male Maximoff putting on a blue long-sleeve exercise shirt. Her eyes lingered a little too long on his torso, his toned abs very clearly on show.

"Like what you see?" Pietro smirked, noticing her staring. His voice easily slipped back into Sokovian now they were alone.

She flicked her eyes upwards to meet his, and returned his smirk with one of her own, "I've seen better." she returned, also returning to her native tongue, "Pass me a pair of those shoes. Size 39."

"What, no please?" he raised an eyebrow, grabbing a pair of grey shoes for himself.

Milenka folded her arms across her chest, unimpressed, "You're funny, Maximoff." she chuckled sarcastically, waiting as Pietro reluctantly chucked the pair of shoes she had motioned towards at her.

From down the room, Wanda was eyeing the impressive range of gear in the cupboards. She turned to face Milenka when she heard her voice, "Hey Lenks."

"Hey." she responded sharply, her eyes not leaving Pietro's for a moment.

Wanda's gaze flickered between the two enemies, "I think I'll leave you two to have a talk."

"Talk about what?" they said simultaneously.

"There's nothing to talk about." Milenka continued.

"Do I have to push you both to opposite sides of the room again?" the younger Maximoff asked, raising an eyebrow at their immature reactions.

Their moods changed rapidly at the threat, "No. You definitely don't need to do that again." Lenks returned quickly.

Pietro shook his head, "Yeah. Never again." he chucked his sister a red leather jacket, and she considered it for a few seconds, before shrugging it on as she left the room.

The two Sokovians sat in silence for a few awkward moments, seated on benches on either side of the room and tying up their shoelaces. Lenks could see Pietro struggling a bit with the short laces that accompanied his trainers— his frustration was amusing at first, but she eventually caved and asked if he needed help.

He reluctantly agreed, and their silence resumed as Milenka stood from her bench and joined Pietro on his. The urge to make fun of his inability to tie his shoes was strong, but she knew now wasn't the time for joking around, and it would only make the next words she said more difficult to become true.