52. K I D N A P P E D

THE MOON SHONE DOWN ON the country roads, empty at this time of night spare for a brunette Sokovian girl on a small grey motorbike

THE MOON SHONE DOWN ON the country roads, empty at this time of night spare for a brunette Sokovian girl on a small grey motorbike. She was travelling well over the speed limit; the bike's headlight twisted and turned, illuminating the road ahead as it traversed the winding landscape. The wind whipped at the hairs poking out from underneath Milenka's helmet, and goosebumps formed on her exposed forearms making her shiver— it seemed the heat of August had disappeared along with Pietro.

In the distance, Lenks could see the faint glow of lights, growing brighter and brighter as she approached the turning indicated on her phone. Just before she turned into the lane, Milenka slowed the motorbike down to a halt so as to double-check that she had the right location. There was no room for error— or time, for that matter. Once sure, she restarted the bike, turned off the headlight and drove off the tarmac road onto the dirt track which would lead her to her final destination. To Pietro.

However, when she arrived to see only a black van with tinted windows and four (what she assumed were) HYDRA agents leaning against it, Milenka realised this wasn't going to be as simple as she expected. To be honest, she hadn't really known what to expect, saving the world once doesn't exactly qualify one for missions such as these.

The back doors of the truck were opened by two of the agents who said nothing as the third guided Lenks inside and sat her down on one of the two benches that ran along the sides of the vehicle. Those two soldiers placed themselves on the bench opposite, and the doors slammed shut. Milenka heard the muffled sound of two doors opening and closing, and then the engine started up and the van drove off.

Lenks eventually gave up on keeping track of the time they were in the van, but when it slowed to a stop and the doors opened to reveal the brightening sky, the sun just coming into view above the horizon, she calculated that, at the least, over two hours had passed. Her arm was grabbed by one of the agents and Milenka was pulled outside, barely given time for her eyes to adjust to the light before she felt something hard press into her back— a gun of some kind. She caught a glimpse of the same type of weapon in the holster of another of the guards, it was one of the weapons she'd seen in Hooke's briefcase.

She was in a large clearing surrounded by forest, a large building positioned in the centre, looming over everything. There were people everywhere, on patrol in cars or on foot, all dressed in identical black combat gear. This site looked very well-established, and Milenka wondered how it had never been discovered by the US military. Though, with her past experiences with that organisation, she wasn't all that surprised by how this had flown under their radar— they were too arrogant to believe that someone would attempt to build something like this.

As she was led towards the building Milenka opened her mind, trying to sense any metal in the area, but there was nothing. Only the faint pull of iron ore in the rock below her feet. She should've expected this, Schmidt knew more about her powers than anyone, even Tony. The only upper hand she would have had was her ability to teleport, but Lenks lost that hand after the mission-gone-wrong in England when she'd revealed it to McKinnley, Hooke and their goons. She still had the electricity that ran through her veins, though, so she wasn't completely powerless.