Eight.

September 13th

    Scarlette woke to darkness, unaccustomed to her surroundings. The young girl quickly arose from her bed for the night being, standing in the middle of the room in a seemingly trance like state.

And like a train, the events from the hours prior smacked her right in her chest.

She shuttered, her chest rattling with every intake of air. Her small frame backing up until the back of her knees touched the comforter.

The events from early this morning replayed in her mind.

Sitting down she slowly brought her hand to her cheek. She waited to connect her hand to the imprint. Almost as if doing so confirmed that last night truly did happen.

Wincing as her shaky fingers gently etched out where the impact happened, her eyes began to well with fresh tears.

Blinking away the impending fall of them, she stood taking in her surroundings quickly registering she was in one of the guest rooms.

Turning her head she spotted a mirror before making her way over. Her eyes widened like saucers for she couldn't believe the size of the mark that laid on her skin.

It was a dark purple bruise that had hues of red and some brown. If it wasn't such a painful ordeal she would've appreciated the colors.

Drawing her eyes away from the obvious sore, she took in her appearance. Her hair was in a disheveled mess, the sight of dried tears on her face made her mouth pool with saliva.

The bags under her eyes were incredibly noticeable and stared back at her imperfectly.

As on cue the door opened. Almost instantly turning her head away from the mirror, hiding her face from whom ever.

She could feel his presence before his touch.

"Hey." He beckoned out gently, closing the door behind him.

She stayed quiet already embarrassed and distraught at the thought of him seeing her in such distress. Making his way towards her, she began to feel clammy at the idea of him seeing her now bruised face.

Expressing her pain to others made scarlette feel like a sick puppy. People treated her with pity. Like she was some broken toy. She hated it. She wishing, now more then ever, that she hadn't picked up that stupid phone and dialed janes number.

The moment she felt his hand hover over her shoulder she withdrawled from his presence.

He stood taken back at the extent of her flinch.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his eyebrows tight and his face etched with concern.

Now that he came to think of it, the question was incredibly stupid. Of course she wasn't okay.

"I'm fine." She spewed out with a faint shake to her voice

He could feel his chest tighten at the sight of her.

"I understand if you don't want to talk about-"

She scoffed.

"I highly doubt that." She bellowed, turning towards him in the midst of her outburst.

She saw his eyes visibly widen at the intensely colored mark on her face. The fire in her chest ignited further more at his look of pity.

"If you had the tiniest understanding as to why I feel like this then you would leave me alone. I do not have any interest to talk to you about how my mother hits me." She said chest rising and falling heavily with each breath.

He watched as the young girl in front of him spoke in such hatred and anger.

"I would also appreciate if you stopped looking at me like I'm some wounded animal!"

His breath caught in his throat.

"Do you think that I enjoy this?!" He hissed

She could see his anger rising to the surface, instantly diminishing any sense of confidence she had. He angrily and precisely making his way towards her only stopping a mere two feet from her.

"Seeing you in such a state. Knowing that I can't do anything to help. To have my daughter wake me up in the middle of night in such a fright."

"You should've just left me there then, on the side of that road." She angrily mumbled.

Both stood fuming with some form of hatred.

It wasn't his fault, she repeated in her mind. This had nothing to do with him and it had been her fault that he was now involved. How could she get angry at him for caring about her well-being?

Caring, she thought. The idea of that scared her. Almost sent a shiver down her spine. She can't let him care for her. She won't.

"I'm sorry I've been such a burden. I'm sorry I called jane. I'm sorry I interrupted your precious sleep. I'm sorry I took up your time. I'm sorry that I involved you." She said with a timid voice laced with sincerity.

Looking back at her, he saw the faint pool of tears beginning to form.

He knew how exhausting it must be for her. To try and hide what goes on behind closed doors. She wasn't to blame for this mess. Silently he hoped she knew that.

Timidly he opened his arms and before he knew it she was enclosed in them. He stood rubbing her back soothingly for the second time as she wallowed in her sadness.

As much as she denied it, scarlette loved the feeling of being close to him. How his arms wrapped around her small frame, protecting her. All she had ever wanted was to feel safe. And that she did, but only with him.

Sniffling she pulled away from him and shyly looked up at him.

"I don't need you to feel sorry for me. Like I'm damaged goods." She paused thinking of what to say, "And I, ... I would prefer to not talk about my mother." She said bitterly, like that word had a sour taste and didn't belong in her vocabulary.

He nodded his head, understanding and dropping the topic.

The rest of the day consisted of scarlette and jane watching movies. For the first time in a long time the young girl felt at home. Like she belonged somewhere. Serene feelings overwhelmed her and she welcomed the sense of peace.