Sixteen.

October 12th

  On following morning the young girl found a smile fanning her lips as she woke. There was a sense of newfound tranquility that surrounded her.

Sitting up she saw her friend still peacefully asleep next to her. Looking around she noticed the room was still dimly lit meaning it was in the early hours of the day.

Stretching she made her way out of the bed. A small groan leaving her lips at the loss of warmth. Quietly she made her way to the restroom to freshen up.

As she stared in the mirror she noticed a glow that fell upon her skin. Her eye bags had lessened and she still had that irritating smile displayed on her lips.

She ran her hands through her coarse hair. She longed to do something to it.

After brushing her teeth she walked out of the restroom and into her friends wardrobe to borrow something to wear. She decided on a pair of tights along with a pleated skirt and a navy blue crew neck sweater.

Once dressed she made her way to the side of the bed where her friend rested. She sat down gently, afraid of waking her.

Her gaze searched her friends face for any sign of imperfection. Her attempt came up unsuccessful.

A small pit welled in her stomach. She felt dreadful. Bile formed in her throat at the memory of last night. Not because she regretted it but for in a sense, she betrayed jane.

Reaching out her fingers she gently moved a stray hair out of her friends face. It was scary how similar the father-daughter pair looked.

The only difference was janes hair was a shade or two darker. The girl smiled to herself. Most likely from box dye.

Sighing she pulled herself from her seating position and made her way towards the door. Once in the hall she followed it till she met the top of the stairway.

As quietly as possible she began her way down the steps. Finding herself in the kitchen she began filling up a glass of water. After taking a few sips she leaned back onto the counter.

School would be starting up in a week, which meant her stays here would be cut even shorter. A feeling of sadness pulled at her for many reasons.

This had become her second home aswell as the closeness that had grown between both girls. Another reason being she was finally somewhere with him. Or atleast she thought.

She stared down at her feet. She wished everything was much easier. She wished that the situation wasn't so difficult. But of course, everything good came with a price.

The sound of feet was heard scuffling against the cold tile. Looking up she caught sight of him.

Her eyes widened at his attire, or lack there of. He stood in front of the doorway, topless, clad in sweats that hung off his waist.

She could feel drool forming.

"Goodmorning." He spoke indifferently, his voice coming out in a husky tone.

She clenched her legs at his morning voice. He never seemed to fail to make her dizzy.

"Goodmorning Mr. Stratford." She quipped.

He nodded and gathered a cup, for coffee she assumed. They sat in a comfortable silence.

This was the first time she'd seen him topless, and she silently prayed it wouldn't be the last. His arm muscles flexed with every act, his broad shoulders were erect and tall. He moved around the kitchen in confidence and if only further intrigued the young girl.

Her eyes moved across his body and she noticed a few scars that littered his back.

She swallowed.

He was in his early thirties and looked better than men that were much younger.

A voice brought her back to reality, "Do you need a ride home" He questioned before clearing his throat.

Her eyes snapped to his, a small panic flooding through her. He raised an eyebrow, questioning her prolonged stare.

She glanced towards her feet, embarrassed that she'd been caught admiring him "Yeah I do, thank you."

A grin had risen on his face before he nodded and turned back to whatever task he was doing.

Questions began rising within her and begged to be released. Gently she cleared her throat, catching his attention.

"About last night, I—" She was cut off by the sound of scuffling amongst the floor

A haze of red caught her eyes. Helena had came into view. A warm smile was passed to her, "Oh goodmorning scarlette. I had no idea you stayed over."

The young girl nodded meekly and returning the smile, only it had not reached her eyes.

"Just for the night. I'm meant to be taking her home now." Theo replied for her.

The girl sucked in a breath "Oh you know what it's okay I'll just walk."

She glanced at him as confusion washed his features. Her eyes slowly moved down to where helena had him in her grasp and a well caught in her throat.

She could feel something coming over her. Jealousy, perhaps?

She grimaced to herself.

I'm in no position to be jealous. For heavens sake I was the one sneaking behind peoples backs, she thought.

His eyebrows drew together as he set his cup down "Are you sure? It's really no trouble."

She nodded placing her own glass in the sink.

Her voice was soft and a weak smile played on her lips "It's not too far. I'm fine really."

He stared at her so hard and for so long she thought she was going to burn up. The young girl ignored his presence as she swallowed the cry that was on the tip of her tongue.

He could tell she was holding back something. Even though they weren't acquainted for very long, he knew her like the back of his hand.

"Thank you for letting me sleep over." She spoke directing the comment to theo.

Thought the woman next to him answered instead, "Of course. You're always welcome here." She smiled, squeezing theos arm endearingly.

That simple act of innocence made her stomach clench in anguish. Nodding, she blinked back the impending tears and keenly made her way upstairs to gather her things.

She moved in a silent manner, afraid of waking her friend for she was in no mood to talk to anyone. She had written a note to jane explaining the situation.

As her feet met the foyer a hand caught her wrist.

"Scarlette. What's wrong?"

She kept her head pointed away from him. Had she looked at him in that moment, the tears that welled in her eyes would've began pouring down her face.

She couldn't embarrass herself further. She wouldn't allow it.

She replied with a curt respone. A small quiver to her voice, "Nothing. I'm fine."

Obviously she was lying. But she found herself at a crossroads.

She knew he had a wife and that he was happily with her, but that didn't erase the fact that they had acted in infidelity the night prior.

She didn't have a place to question him. She now was the other woman. Or girl, perhaps.

Breaking free from his grasp she eagerly found the door handle and pulled it open. He quickly grabbed the door, barely catching her for she was already half way out.

The sound of a plead was heard, making the girl turn back towards him. His breath caught in his throat at the sight of her, he could see tears staining her cheeks.

Her eyes were pulled together in despair. Her bloodshot eyes spoke the words of plenty.

Before he could utter a word, she turned back and practically ran down the driveway and out of his sight.