Chapter 5- Mind Tricks

It was morning the next day

It was morning the next day. I sit by myself in Tony's lab as I waited for everyone to regroup. My mind was racing with thoughts of what Ultron had said to me before Thor hit him with his hammer. He said I was too dangerous to be kept alive because of my powers. That I was in his way. In the way of what? His plans? That I was actually capable of stopping whatever it is he is going to do before it ever came to fruition.

I toyed with the silver arrowhead necklace that hung around my neck. I was deep in thought. I didn't notice Will had walked up to me when I heard him speak. "You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I was just thinking." I say, still playing with the necklace.

"About?" Will asks, bringing up a chair and sitting next to me.

"About what Ultron said to me last night." I reply. "He said I was too dangerous to be kept alive."

"But you're not dangerous." Will says.

"He said we were killers." I say.

"Do you believe that?" Will asks.

"No, but..."

"What Ultron said isn't true. I know you, Kaitlyn, you wouldn't hurt anyone." Will says.

"You seem to have forgotten New York." I say.

"That wasn't your fault. You couldn't control what was happening. Look, I may not be a superhero, but I won't let Ultron hurt you and neither will the others." Will says. I look at Will and a small smile forms on my face.

"What's this?" Tony asks when Steve hands Thor a tablet with a photo of Baron Strucker's dead body. Will and I walk over to the group as they assembled in the lab.

"A message. Ultron killed Strucker." Steve says. I took a look at the tablet and saw Strucker lying dead in his jail cell and the word peace written in blood on the wall. Thor slams the tablet into Tony's chest so he could take a look at it.

"And he did a Banksy at the crime scene, just for us." Tony says.

"This is a smokescreen. Why send a message when you've just given a speech?" Natasha asks.

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss." Steve says.

"Yeah, I bet he...yeah." Natasha says as she looks at the screen. "Yep. Everything we had on Strucker's been erased."

"Not everything." Steve says.

We all start to look through physical files we had on Strucker. "Known associates. Baron Strucker had a lot of friends."

"Well, these people are all horrible." Bruce says.

"Wait. I know that guy." Tony says, pointing to the photo I was holding. I hand it to him. "From back in the day. He operates off the African coast. Black market arms." Steve gives Tony an accusing look. "There are conventions. All right? You meet people. I didn't sell him anything."