16. the mark

Megumi should probably have seen this coming.

Of course, it's not like he hadn't expected the overwhelming teasing now that he and Yuji were "official" (a new... 'development' that happened two nights after the boys' first date over a heated game of 'Red Dead Redemption II', right when Megumi was winning - Yuji innocently dropped the "btw we're like together officially now, right?" bomb which caught Megumi so off-guard he got shot, again), he'd been prepared for the merciless teasing from Maki, the inappropriate and daily questions from both her and Nobara on whether he and Yuji "had popped their cherries yet" (which like??? Helloooo, none of your business?? Focus on the weird tension between yourselves. sheesh).

He'd even been prepared for the news to reach Kyoto and their senpais (namely, Todou - who sent Megumi a LONG text "welcoming him to the family" and apologising for his "quick" and "unfair judgement" of his character, claiming that anyone who "is attracted" to his "brother Itadori" is a "man worthy of his respect"... Basically, Yuji laughed and Megumi contemplated suicide after reading it.)

What he wasn't prepared for - was the absolute lack of reaction from Gojo, who, for some reason didn't jump at the opportunity to tease and humiliate the couple and instead - ignored their red-handed PDA completely when he stumbled upon them after their training with Yaga-san.

He didn't so much as flinch or blink when the boys jumped away from each other with a jolt at the sudden intrusion, embarrassment and sheepishness clear on their face as they braced themselves for the teasing that... Never came.

Yuji shrugged it off when Megumi asked him about it later, responding with "he basically knew about it long before, so he probably just felt merciful today. Plus, I'm glad he didn't, can you imagine all the things he could've said?? Honestly, I can only handle so much bullying in one day... Why? Something bothering you?"

Megumi shook his head 'no', chalking it up to just being "surprised" and dropped the matter. Of course it was better that Gojo was "chill" with his two protégés dating (though, when Yuji said it, Megumi had to remind himself that Yuji hadn't grown up with and experienced a teenage Gojo, so he couldn't really trust his judgement on this), so why did something about his attitude seem so... Off?

Sure, Megumi and him hadn't exactly left things off on a good note, but again - they pretty much grew up together and Gojo was more than familiar with Megumi's tantrums and sulking by now... So why would this be any different?

Could he really blame him for being concerned about the wellbeing of his now boyfriend?? If anything, the fact that he and Yuji were now actually dating should be enough justification and proof for Gojo to let the argument drop.

He got the boy, he's happy with the boy, the boy likes him back just as much (even though yes, a few weeks ago the general consensus was that Yuji neve would because everyone assumed he was just too ridiculously straight. Which now... lol) so what exactly is the problem? As petty as they both were, at the end of the day Gojo is still the only father figure Megumi has ever had so yes, this... Lack of a reaction was a blow. Not that he'd ever admit it, but... Is it really so crazy to want approval from the one person you've relied on most of your life?

Why couldn't he be happy for him? Shouldn't his happiness be enough? Why is it so hard to-

"Babe. You zoned out again."