19. The bucket list

"Sir, I apologise but unless you have a reservation, we are fully booked for tonight."

"Uhh, yeah, there should be a reservation under the name Itadori? Yuji Itadori?"

The waitress (visibly exasperated and not making effort to hide it), gives Yuji a skeptics glance as she flicks through her tablet, scanning for the reservation.

Yuji fumbles with his zipper. He knows it won't be the end of the world if somehow the woman doesn't find the reservation, but the woman's snappy welcome and the fact that he's already nervous for the date isn't helpful at all.

He doesn't know if the place is any good, he's put his trust into Google Map reviews (and his budget), but all the other places on the list were a few bus rides away and it'd be a pain to have to relocate when he already told Megumi to meet him here.

"I don't understand why we're doing this, our one month anniversary has passed and I do not want us to be that couple that makes a big deal out of every single month like we're twelve."

"Twelve?? Twelve year olds don't date, too young. And it is a big deal what are you talking about!?"

"We're literally only three years older it's not that different a Yuji, I can still remember being twelve and it is a dumb thing to make a big deal out of! Celebrating it makes it look like our relationship is some sort of challenge and we're lucky to have even made it this far!"

"Okay, fine, then maybe I just want to treat you? My boyfriend? Is that allowed?? Otherwise, think of it as a celebration of you reconciling with Gojo."

"For the last time, I am not gonna text him, stop."

"You are, and the day you do I'll take you out, how's that for motivation?"

After a minute the woman finally looks up and nods at Yuji, straightening as she forces a smile and signals for him to follow her. The restaurant is very quaint. Round tables spaced out in a traditional setting in caramel hues and live plants hanging from the walls. Yuji was glad for the fact that Google Maps pictures did the place justice, the golden tone complimenting the white wooden tables. There was a little built in fountain that made the place feel expensive (which it was, don't get him wrong, but it made the prices feel a little more reasonable).

[18.40 MyGoomi<3]

"I'm here, I'm sitting @ table 8, reservation is under the name ITADORI. Want me to order you any drinks already?? Hurry pls I'm HUNGRY + miss u"

[18.41]
"BTW the table next to us has Tonkatsu and Shabu Shabu and IT LOOKS SO GOOOOD. HURRY. <3333"

He sends the message and smiles at the immediate reply.

Of course, that phone addict.

As a expected, Megumi replies immediately with a "Shut up I'm almost there, don't order anything yet" so Yuji puts down his phone and waits, smiling and shaking his head when the waiter asks whether "he's ready to order" yet.

It takes almost ten minutes for Megumi to arrive (not that Yuji is worried, but the waiters had started getting impatient and that was annoying) but he does and...  collapses into his chair with a heavy sigh.

That's not great.

Yuji keeps his smile on while he waits for his boyfriend to greet him and maybe share the conversation (that clearly left him even more exasperated than usual) between himself and Gojo, but when it's clear that his boyfriend has no intention of speaking first, Yuji clears his throat to break the silence with a "that bad huh?", hoping to lighten the mood.