ix. jail birds

"All right, JJ

"All right, JJ. Pin it here." John B screamed over the thunder as JJ started to steer the boat. "Roger that! X marks the spot. All right, ladies and gentlemen. To going full Kook!"

Quinn looked over the edge of the boat before looking back to the screen her and Pope were watching. "All right, JJ, we're right over it. Ten seconds northwest." "Got it! Ten seconds northwest." JJ screamed.

"One hundred feet." Kie yelled, dropping the drone lower. Quinn squinted as she tried to notice anything in the camera. A squid popping up on screen made Pope let out a loud gasp, jumping back slightly. John B ran over as Quinn gave him an 'are you kidding me' look.

"What? What, what, what, what?" John B asked excitedly and Quinn shook her head. "It was nothing. Scared of Squidward... Really?"

Pope shook off Quinn's insult, turning to John B. "And to quote The Hobbit, 'Down, down, to Goblin Town.'" "Down, down, you go, my lad." Quinn continued the quote, malign Pope elbow her in the ribs.

"Four hundred feet!" Kie yelled as the thunder rumbled through the air. "The tide's turning!"

"Hey, JJ? Ten seconds easy. South-southeast." John B yelled and JJ let out a loud hum, readjusting the boat. "Copy that!"

"Kie! Keep the tether out of the prop!" Pope yelled , noticing the rope tied to the drone was getting too close to the propellers. "I'm trying!" Kie yelled as John B turned back to JJ. "JJ, keep going!"

"John B, is that good?" JJ yelled and John B sent him a thumbs up even though he couldn't see it. "We're good!"

"Okay, 700 feet!" Kie yelled over the thunder. The boat started to rock at its harsh waves, making Quinn yelp. Pope quickly grabbed her hand as John B turned to the JJ. "JJ, hold it steady!"

"Okay, 900!" Kie yelled as the boat grew even more shaky. "JJ, we'll turtle in this storm." John B yelled.

"920!"

"Crank it north by northwest! Ten seconds!" John B yelled at JJ before turning back to Quinn and Pope, leaning on the table beside Pope. "Quinnie, Pope, how are we doing?" "Almost there." Pope mumbled.

"There's too much current! We're gonna lose it! Quinn! Help me out!" Kie yelled and Quinn immediately let go of Popes hand, running to help Kie hold onto the tether. The thunder crashed as the girls groaned at the rope burn growing on their hands.

"South, southwest, JJ! Hard! Half speed. Steady at this bearing, JJ!" John B yelled, turning back to Pope. "What do you got, Pope? Come on, man. What do you see?"

Pope sighed, stepping away from the monitor slightly. "Nothin'. A whole lot of nothin'." John B slowly shook his head in denial. "You should be right above it, brother." He quickly turned to the girls. "Quinn!"

"960!" Quinn yelled,already knowing what he meant.

"970!" Kie yelled a few seconds later.

"980!" Quinn yelled before she let out a happy cheer, Kie turning to Pope and John B. "We're at the bottom! We're at the bottom!"